SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redbird_tn

Introductions / Roll Call

RedBird_7a EastTN
13 years ago

Hi, all. I am relatively new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself. It seems that many of you already know each other, but it looks like there hasn't been a "roll call" in a while so maybe some of you could post introductions too :)

I live in Blount County (east TN). I am in the city limits but have about 4/5 of an acre yard. I have been gardening for about 15 years but have definite gaps in my knowledge. I work part-time and am involved in other activites, but enjoy gardening immensely whenever I have time. I love trees, and since moving here we've planted a southern magnolia, a sweet gum, a sugar maple, "Natchez" crape myrtles (planted as trees), river birches, a sour cherry, a crabapple (no longer with us) and "Emerald Green" arborvitae. I am also interested in shrubs, perennials, "antique" roses, container gardening, and vegetable/fruit gardening. We have two children that I love to garden with when they are so inclined. We also have three large dogs that I do *not* like to garden with although they are always inclined!

My yard has full sun in the front and full shade to dappled shade in the back because of several old oaks, a hackberry, a hemlock, a red cedar, and silver maples. My biggest challenges are some erosion issues in back and battling my arch enemies - poison ivy, Japanese (?) privet, and bush honeysuckle in the back, and bermuda grass in the front. In addition, there is an in-ground swimming pool in the back (put in in 1972) that the previous owners filled in with fill dirt. I suspect this is the original source of most of the invasives. (More on the pool in a separate post - ha ha!)

I love reading gardening essays, especially in winter. Currently, my favorite garden writers to read are Elizabeth Lawrence, Henry Mitchell, and Allan Lacey. I like to combine what they say with what current gardeners say and mix it in with my own experiences. I also enjoy visiting public gardens and arboretums.

I am on the advisory group for a vegetable and fruit garden we have at our church to supply fresh produce to the local food bank. This is very meaningful to me. I also dream of being a Master Gardener one day, and being able to give back to the community in that way.

One of my goals right now (besides getting out the invasives and dealing with the pool)is to learn how to propogate and to grow things from seed. I have very little experience in this area.

I am so appeciative of the forums and have gotten such helpful info. from some of you already. Thanks.

Comments (13)

Sponsored