SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hermitonthehill

Help - TN 'engineering' - to suspend a swing from a limb

hermitonthehill
17 years ago

I posted about this on another forum, but I figured I'd also ask at my "home base" here in the TNG forum.

I've got a wooden swing that was used on an A-frame. The A-frame is long defunct. The swing suspends by chains - like a swingset's chains.

I have a nearly "perfect" Oak tree limb that is large enough to support the weight of the swing and people sitting in it. I want to suspend the swing from that limb. (and landscape "the view" from that position/perspective and the immediate area)

What I want to AVOID is a) damaging the limb b) having to re-suspend it every year.

While my kids have outgrown the tire-swings from two different Oaks on the property, I want to avoid what I see happen with those - the rope gets tight around the limb, the tree continues to grow, the rope gets embedded in the limb and it scars the limb even if you do remove it. Another reason I don't want to have to re-do suspending the swing every year (like cutting or undoing the rope and tying it up anew to loosen it or whatever) because it isn't going to be much longer that I'm going to be able to get up that high. (I already have an issue with ladders and unsteady heights in general) So, I'd like to avoid that scenario. I just can't seem to think of an acceptable alternative.

Would a traditional/proper "noose" (starting from the end of the branching out and working back to the suspension-sites on the primary limb) provide for less rubbing/abrasion when the swing was swinging? Would a "noose", instead of just being tied around the limb with any given knot, *possibly* loosen with the limb's growth?

I know it probably sounds crazy, but I am just all spun up about this - as much as I feel "that is the spot, that is the limb" and want to hang the wooden swing there/from it, I'm nearly as zealous about wanting to avoid injuring the tree and having to potentially contend with "Calibration" maintenance... I wanted this swing up last year, but I spent all year banging my head on how to go about it to alleviate my concerns.

I don't think there's enough chain on the swing to reach that limb with the swing's seat at an appropriate level/height off the ground, so I'm going to need to extend each side either with more chain or "rope"... I haven't purchased either yet since I'm still trying to figure out a "good way" to do this.

Has anyone else gone about suspending a swing from a tree limb that you find works well for you and your tree?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus