SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jarek_gw

Terrarium and Snakes?

jarek
16 years ago

Hello people, I don't normally post on the forums (I'm one of the guys that spend their time reading up and looking at all the amazing pictures with jealousy) but as the weather turns colder I'm getting more and more depressed. I can't grow things outside. The past few years I've done a few window sill plants and that's kept me content. Lately, though I've felt the urge to do more. So I've decided to try my hand at growing terrariums. I've done a bit of reading around and am surprised to see that no one starts their terrariums from seeds. Is that mainly because it's easier, or just because you see results faster? Or is it even possible to grow a terrarium from seeds?

I know, I've been rambling on about terrariums but the subject also mentions snakes. I have always wanted a pet snake. I can't explain why, perhaps it's just a guy thing, but I've recently discovered that my girlfriend is also interested in having a snake. Perfect, right? Why not make a terrarium for the snake? Well I'm not sure if that's even a good idea. We're planing on getting a corn snake, something relatively small and not to expensive. But everywhere I check suggests substrates of wood shaving, paper shredding, or outdoor turf. Can I even use dirt? And what should I grow in it? I'm planing to have grass in there, but I don't know what else. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated, and I apologize if I'm rambling. My girlfriend saw I was busy posting and thought it'd be the perfect time to go over finances with me.

Thanks for the help,

-Jarek

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida