SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Coral reef tank lights for terrarium???

bihai
19 years ago

My husband had a 55 gal reef tank that we recently broke down. The light hood, he had made specifically for him at a **considerable** cost. After spending all that money he remembers surprisingly little about its specifics (you maybe can see why we no longer have the tank set up?)

Anyway we still have the tank and the light hood and I am playing with the idea of setting up a terrarium with perhaps plants only, as our local reptile store guru believes the lights we have would most likely be way too hot for live animals. When it was a reef tank, we had both hard and soft corals, fish, starfish, anemones, and snails andhad the fixture elevated about 6 inches off the water surface. The evaporative loss was enormous. We ran the lights VHO's 8 hours a day, halides 4-6 hours a day.

This is a description of the light set up. Do any of you have anything similar, and if so, what have YOU been able to grow as far as plants and/or animals?

The hood takes two 4 ft VHO-1 super actinic bulbs.

It also takes two metal halide bulbs that are labeled: Blue Line 175 10K plus

I am assuming that this means 175 watts 10,000K and K means heat? Or not?

The inside of the hood is reflective, and it has a large ballast that runs everything.

I want to possibly do miniature bromeliads, orchids, of course moss, I will have to look at terrarium plants that are suitable. I already grow over 400 orchids, several tropical carnivorous plants, hundreds of bromeliads, and other tropical rainforest plants in a 1728 Sq Ft greenhouse. In this terrarium I would want "different" plants than what I have in the rainforest.

(see website: bihaisrainforest.4t.com0

I would appreciate suggestions and advice. I know I can look at old threads also, and get a book on terrariums, etc but its always nice to have the expertise of someone with hands on experience.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!