SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_blowe

Supporting my Tomatoes: The Belt and Suspenders Approach

Joe Blowe
15 years ago

After reading through numerous threads and studying various websites, and after too many years of messinâ around with âÂÂamendingâ my clay soil (yikes!), IâÂÂve come up with the following:

I started with the Sunset raised bed, made with untreated Douglas Fir and fastened with üâÂÂx3â galvanized lag screws and washers. Total cost for the bed came to $39.

Then I built the trellis with two untreated Douglas Fir 2x3s, two 8â lengths of þâ conduit, four âÂÂâ rubber chair tips (which cover the ends of the conduit), üâÂÂx3â galvanized lag screws and washers, and a 5âÂÂx8â section of nylon trellis material. Total cost for this project came to $23. (I arrived at this design in case I ever want to break it down quickly into individual pieces.)

I wouldâÂÂve liked to have used concrete reinforcing wire panels, but I couldnâÂÂt find the right size and I didnâÂÂt want to buy a roll of the stuff (just yet ;-). IâÂÂll give the nylon netting a shot and will see if it lasts more than a season.

The top of the trellis clocks in at 8 feet tall, but I'm also tall and standing on a milk crate allows me to easily reach the top. The overall stability of the trellis seems to be good, and zip-tying my cages to the lower span of conduit vastly improved their stability. And as seen in the picture, accessibility to the adjacent squares is excellent and will allow me to weed and interplant without running into re-wire or nylon netting.

Now, onto the rest of the yard!

Comments (3)

Sponsored