SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

HELP! Rate my 4x4 plans for Summer Crop planting this week!

kristimama
15 years ago

Hi,

I have decided (rather suddenly) to do 2 small beds of summer crops even though the majority of my yard won't be ready until fall crops. (Can't go a season without growing tomatoes, right?)

Anyway, this is my first time doing anything like this and I hope I have arranged them in a way that will work. And that it's not too late to start some of these things.

I'm in the SF Bay Area and we're just starting to get warm days. We had what I think was our last frosty night here just a couple weeks ago.

Would some of you be willing to take a look at my arrangement and tell me if it will work? Or warn me if it's too late to start some of these things?

My trellises will be made of PVC and netting (hence, no melons or butternut squash.)

Both boxes will be close to a 4 or 5' retaining wall.

Box #1 will be on the left, on the North side of #2. #1 will have 2 trellis, one on the Eastern/top side and one on the Western/left side to take advantage of the way the sun travels.

Box #2 will be separated by a 3' walkspace... and it will be directly south/to the right of box #1. It will only have one trellis, on the Eastern/top side.

Hope this makes sense, since I can't figure out a way to post an excel picture.

----E----

--N---S--

----W----

.............R E T A I N I N G W A L L..........

-------------------#1---------------------------------------#2-------------------

______________________________________________________________________________________

------- T__R__E__L__L__I__S -------3' between boxes----- T__R__E__L__L__I__S ________________________________________________________________________________________

TR/Beans-----Beans-----Cukes-----Cukes...................Pepper----Tomato--Basil---Tomato

EL/Nasturt---Marigold--Marigold--Carrots...................1/2 carrots---Zucchini---1/2 carrots

LI/Tomato----Pepper----Pepper----Carrots.................1/2 carrots---Zucchini---1/2 carrots

SS/Tomato----Basil-----Basil-----Carrots...................1/2 carrots---Zucchini---1/2 carrots

(The book said zuchini needed a 3x3 so I centered the zucchini on a row of 4 which will give me about a 1/2 a square on either side (at least until the zucchini is huge) to plant some carrots or radishes. And they'll probably appreciate the shade when the plants are huge.

Also, I'm going to try the tomatoes 1 per square. Am I making a huge mistake with that?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting