SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amar_gw

Melons and Watermelons on a trellis

19 years ago

I am planning on growing some watermelons, melons, and cucumbers. They are all heirloom varieties and I want to grow them on fences. The fence is 5' high and is over 200' long so I have plenty of room.

What spacing would you recommend for watermelons, melons, and cucumbers on a 5' tall fence? I assume watermelons need the most space and melons would need less and cucumbers the least amount of space. I understand that different varieties grow different sizes.

I also know that I would have to support any heavy melons but small ones and cucumbers are fine.

I will have about 60'+ for the melons. I want to get as many in that space as possible. I will have many Navajo melon, a few Chantarais, and also a few Casabas.

The watermelons will have 60'+. I am growing Sugar Baby, Early Moonbeam, and a few Moon and Stars.

I would like to grow the melon and watermelons at one plant per hill and put the hills closer than if they had several plants. I wanted to use my space very efficiently. If I have one plant per hill that would reduce root competition and also space the vines further. I want vines to eventually overlap a little when they are larger.

I have read many sources that tell how to plant regularly in hills but I cannot find a source that gives some detail or general description of induvidual spacing for trellis growth. I would like to spend this season getting a bigger harvest rather than experimenting with spacing.

Please let me know what you think about spacing. Since I am in zone 5 in Central Iowa these crops should die in the end of September maybe a little later so they won't grow to be as big as ones in warmer zones.

Thanks

Amar

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus