SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumn1598

Carnivorous plant/ant terrarium

Autumn1598
11 years ago

So when I was younger, at the science center, they had a kit for a three tiered "closed" system. I always thought it was really awesome. I have always been fascinated with carnivorous plants. My grandmother had a venus flytrap when I was growing up and I just thought they were spectacular. I still do actually. ANYWAY. I looked up the kit and it turns out that the three different tiers are to support 3 different biomes. I am putting a link to a video at the bottom in case I am not making any sense. The Wild! Science kits can be interconnected with other kits. The one I am most interested in is the ant farm.

What I am contemplating doing is building a terrarium containing a mix of carnivorous plants. I am thinking right now maybe Flytraps and Sundew. Connected to, but separate I would like to make a formicarium, or a big pot of dirt. I don't really care about being able to see the ants tunnels. Sorry I tend to ramble but I am wondering if anyone has tried a closed (or mostly) with carnivorous plants and ants as their food source. I would like to be able to make it a closed source, which I could possibly do with the ant gel because they would not need food, but I am a naturalist and would prefer dirt of some sort. My biggest question right now would be what I would be able to use as a food source if I was going to be able to make if completely self sufficient.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Wild! Science Eco Dome video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQGSan0t8Q&list=UUdjbFCGaiO0M7J4zNuYQFTw&index=14

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus