SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdfortin_gw

Update on Costa Rica and many other things!!

Cdfortin
19 years ago

Greetings! ItÂs been several weeks since IÂve been able to write in the forum. Between my return from Costa Rica and the many complexities that life enjoys creating, I have been very busy. So, I might as well use this as an opportunity to update you all on several things.

Costa Rica:

Fabulous! Sites explored include San Jose, the Arenal volcano region, Monteverde, and Quepos (Manuel Antonia National Park).

San Jose: culturally interesting, a bit dangerous, only spent a day here

Arenal Volcano: active volcano (erupts daily!) and surrounding tropical forest were beautiful. The Tabacon hot springs were fantastic. Day trip to the Cano Negro Preserve (swampland)

Monteverde: fantastic cloud forest. Every type of epiphyte you could imagine (an old tree can have over three hundred species!) Went on the sky walk and zip line and, of course, tours through the forest.

Quepos: went to Manuel Antonio National Park (on the coast). Beautiful beaches, tons of wildlife.

To view pictures: http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBN2zFu1cN3XA

Recent Plant Order:

Today I received a plant order from Black Jungle. Tillandsias were beautiful and very healthy! Based on SahoyÂs experience I only ordered two terrestrials and IÂm glad I did. They were puny! IÂm sure theyÂll grow fast though. Also ordered a jewel orchid which was a nice size and in very good condition. BTW, can anyone tell me how to plant the jewel orchid?

300 Gal Terrarium:

A while back I mentioned that I had a 300 gal terrarium. I must admit that was a white lie. I am in the process of building it-but it is nearly complete. This week I purchased epoxy paint to finish off the interior.

To view pictures: http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBN2zFu1cN3TQ

Red Eyed Tree Frogs:

TheyÂre on the way! I am receiving a shipment of 6 Nicaraguan captive bred sub adults tomorrow to put in my newest terrarium (not the 300 gal one-theyÂll go there later). Of course I have done tons of research but I would greatly appreciate any advice, especially from those who keep their frogs in vivariums.

Comments (7)