SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaeon_gw

Terrarium beginner - soil and airflow questions

shaeon
13 years ago

I've done a few terrariums with succulents and cacti, and a few failed terrariums with other plants. I am starting fresh with a new terrarium with a maidenhair fern and some moss in a 20 gallon aquarium. This is a closed terrarium mostly - just mostly because I have a standard lighted aquarium hood on top of it, which includes very small holes for adding equipment I would need if this had fish in it.

I've learned about a lot of the stuff I'm doing wrong from this post. Chiefly I need to use less soil, which is easy enough to accomplish.

In addition to that, could I get a few recommendations on soil mixes? that post recommends vermiculite, which I'm a bit opposed to using because of the possible health effects on me and my cats - but please correct me if my concerns are unfounded.

Additionally, I've seen a few people mention adding fans to terrariums. Because of the setup I have, this would be easy to add - I could fix a CPU fan to the hood, or even run a few tubes from an aquarium air pump for minimal airflow. What are the benefits of this? Is it worth the (fairly minimal) trouble?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner