SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Leaf propagation questions

quinnfyre
16 years ago

What is the longest it has taken you to get a leaf to produce babies? I have leaves that I started almost a year ago with no action. Worst offender: Snowy Sky. For some reason I really want to see this plant. The first set of leaves I got were a bit suspect, and ended up rotting. No big deal, got another set. This is the set I started last summer. One finally succumbed, but the other is still here, with no babies. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, as I have only managed to successfully grow out one baby, from Rhapsodie Teressa. I've successfully gotten babies to start from others, but not in the quantities that other people seem to get, mainly 1-2 per leaf. I also can't seem to manage to keep sucker babies alive either (the suckers you remove that are large enough to make it). Is it really just a question of bagging them? Is that the key to success? Just looking for some input.

I also have a bunch of leaves started that I've placed in a mini-greenhouse (more like a terrarium) thing that are starting to show signs of babies, but again, in low quantities, about 1 per leaf. These were started in Oct, I believe. I was hoping that the enclosed space would provide better humidity and speed up this process, but it didn't really seem faster, and I still have a low baby count. I don't really mind, as I don't want a million baby plants to find homes for, but I'm curious as to why I never get more than the 1 or 2.

So in a nutshell, should I be bagging them individually? Why don't I get more babies? And why can't I get sucker babies to take?

Thanks!

Comments (17)