SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sixsilver

Leaf propagation: two weeks, a baby plant sprouting yet still no roots

Six Silver
9 years ago

So I collected some echeveria leaves, hoping they'll grow into plants! I've read it's not the easiest way to propagate succulents, but I still want to give it a try (and add a couple of plants to my collection).

Two of the leaves I got have started sprouting (tiny) leaves and roots so I transferred them into small pots:

Actually, this top one might not be an echeveria...

The two others, however, have mostly sprouted leaves if not just leaves — I can't say whether the tiny protuberance I see under the leaves is a root (what do you guys think?):

Pale pink protuberance

Dark protuberance

In any case, my question is: if a leaf only produces leaves and no roots, is the plantlet viable at all or will it eventually die...?

Comments (67)

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I definitely get your impatience and need to bind yourself from watering, Bernard, as I feel the same myself! I'm positive the next time you try propagating leaves, you'll have have a higher success rate, let alone because you now know what not to do!

Personally, I haven't dared, yet, bury the tip of the leaves because I want to know what's going on, especially with these first pretties as I doubt I can get more leaves from the mother plant; as Rina said, I figured the roots will find their way into the soil...

Speaking of soil, for some reason, as much as I don't want to pot my plants into a mix that contains soil, I'm rather uncomfortable with the idea of growing baby plants in something that doesn't have soil... Too scared their tiny little roots will dry up — to the point I may actually end up overwatering them... that's when I need binding !

I think I'll give burying the tips of the leaves a try with my second batch: I have quite a couple of leaves that fell as I was repotting a Pachyveria/Graptosedum (still haven't figured out what it is yet) so I don't care as much if some of them don't make it... though I might wait until I see the tiniest leaves sprouting before I plant them, just to know which actually grew roots but never made it any further and which simply never made it at all...

In any case, don't feel too bummed... getting better at something means trials and a couple of errors along the way! My first batch was made up of nine leaves, two of which were from a(nother) beautiful mother plant I won't be able to have more leaves from... They hadn't been detached properly — I guess that, too, needs practice with Echeverias!

Last but not least, you had a really interesting collection of leaves for your first batch! I hope you can get more!

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Look who's decided to sprout a baby plantlet after twenty-four days!

Never thought it would make it, either, given the state of the leaf... the only reason I didn't throw it away was because it hadn't yellowed and shriveled and died already — and I'm kind of happy I didn't, now!

That said, I'm still really, really scared it's eventually going to die — even though I'm sure I'm just being paranoid and that it will grow roots instead of slowly agonizing to death!

• Related Discussions

Water rooted leaf has baby (still in water)

Q

Comments (1)
    These two ways have worked for me many times: 1) Plant very shallow with toothpicks helping to hold the leaf up. 2) Plant as normal, but use perlite in a pot that sits in water. Believe it or not, with this last method, I have had a plant bloom with absolutely no fertilizer or anything else added. This was a spare plant that I was putting-off planting.
    ...See More

Echeveria baby from leaf propagation.

Q

Comments (3)
    I would leave the old leaf in place. It will eventually die away. While it's there, it's providing food for the baby plant. Usually, the mother leaf dies off and can be pulled away by the time it's no longer needed by the baby plant. It's doubtful that, if it were removed and replanted, it would grow another plant. It's already used up a lot of energy growing the first one.
    ...See More

Leaf baby, when to plant?

Q

Comments (15)
    Just some thoughts on my learning experiences growing this... I'm an all/nothing kinda person and attacked this new interest somewhat obsessively, reading everything I could get my hands on. I found considerable variation between what I read and what actually worked for me, so can't underestimate trying new things. If you can find books/blogs that are immediately local to you it's enormously beneficial - humidity and weather extremes make a huge difference. Micro climates - eg whether your yard layout gets hotter than neighbors due to layout etc - can result in variation to the norms. For example, Melbourne doesn't get humid so I found growing leaf babies in plastic containers really beneficial and speedy, despite some websites advising that this would cause mould. I also read Semperviviums are really tough and don't need much water, but that was clearly written somewhere that doesn't get 35-40 C in summer ;) Good luck!
    ...See More

February 2019, Week 2, Planting Time Is So Close....And, Yet, So Far

Q

Comments (60)
    Kim, Prayers for fast healing for you. Bon, Where would we be without our beloved OK Mesonet? It has all the most helpful info in so many different formats. I just love it. I'm glad Bill made it home in time to chop wood. Hopefully that wood will keep the stove fed and keep you all toasty warm. Maybe you coulda/woulda/shoulda been chopping wood, but we know that it wouldn't feed your soul the way that gardening does, so we totally get it. Your wind chill was bad and it was bad so much earlier than ours. The cold front didn't make it this far south until tonight, but we're plenty chilly now. Megan, If you need some time to just chill, then allow yourself to do that. I think when our bodies are telling us what it needs, we need to listen. With a three day weekend, you should have adequate time for chilling and seed starting. Enjoy your holiday weekend. dbarron, Maybe the cat and dog were just playing and neither is too much of a fraidy cat? I'm glad you got the car into the garage so you won't have to chisel ice off the windshield later. The plants don't seem as bothered by the cold as we do. I guess that's because they are out in it 24/7 and are somewhat better adapted to it perhaps. Rebecca, I hope the procedure went well and that you and your mom made it home just fine. Y'all, the models look like somebody is going to get some snow next week, but I do not necessarily think it will hit many of us unless something changes. We have an unexpected, last-minute bonus weekend with the older granddaughter this week as her dad is unavailable for his weekend with her. Well, his loss is our gain and we're going to enjoy having her here with us, though she might climb the walls a little bit without her little sis around to play with. Of course, we can do things we don't do when little sis is here, like maybe go to a more mature movie (something not G-rated) or to a restaurant that little sis doesn't like. Tomorrow will be just her day and she's already voiced her opinion on where we should eat lunch. : ) Before they called to see if she could come stay with us, I had thought I might do a little plant shopping or something tomorrow but I think instead we'll do something she'll enjoy. It still is pretty chilly to be buying plants, especially since the cold weather doesn't want to go away. I'm ready to do some gardening, but the weather isn't really right for it yet, especially with the persistently soggy soil. Dawn
    ...See More
  • bernardyjh
    9 years ago

That's great!! I think like what Rina said, these plants are best left alone and not be fussed over.

I left my new rooted cuttings in the bathroom, I think the humidity is keeping them alive and growing more roots! lol

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad these cuttings are growing roots! I hope mine will too (cause I also decided to experiment with cuttings). I left them to callous before potting them... maybe I should have waited until they developed roots like yours...!
    Regarding the last plantlet I mentioned, it is still very tiny and it still has no roots... my paranoia regarding its future is greater than ever ;)

Edit:

I'm actually a little worried... not about the last plantlet, but the others: they seem the leaves are growing further apart on the stems... could it be that they're not getting enough light?

Should I place them outside, where they'll get more light...?

• aztcqn
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good guess. More light will definitely help.
    I'm enjoying your thread and enthusiasm for growing succulents. ;]
    You'll have a whole herd before you know it.

Six Silver thanked aztcqn
  • bernardyjh
    9 years ago

My rooted leaves cuttings aren't doing so well, all of them had turned to a translucent yellow color. I stopped watering them and placed them under some sun, but it continues to deteriorate. So frustrating!

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Aztcqn!

Propagating succulents is very exciting for me — I love to watch plants grow, develop, get new leaves! And with these little plantlets, it's just so much more special than simply buying a plant... although that doesn't stop me from buying more plants — I'm getting obsessed!

Speaking of herd, you may not be wrong — I've been collecting fallen leaves from the pachyverias/(grapto)sedums/??? I didn't handle carefully enough; and now, I'm hoping more plantlets will grow from them!

I don't know if I'm doing things right, but quite a few of these leaves have started sprouting leaves. They're just sitting on the top shelf of a trolley in front of my bedroom window (which, I'm practically sure, has been treated not to let the light in — I mean, come on, I'm in the tropics, it's a south facing window, and my plants are still elongating? Seriously?)... and when they sprout roots, I place them in little pots, on top of a soil and aquarium pebbles mix. That's it. Maybe placing your leaves and cuttings in the bathroom is just too humid for them, Bernard...

I've place my "oldest" babies — I mean, plantlets ^^ — outside, behind other plants so that they don't immediately get too much sunlight; maybe I should have just placed them in bright shade, but I figured they'd still lack of light... What would you do, Aztcqn?

Last pic — just because I didn't know Kalanchoe bracteata could grow from leaves, too, and that I am ssooo excited about:

Any recommendations?

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Another good call on the treated window. If plantlets are rooting I'd place 'em in same lit area as your other succulents, but, gradually let them get acclimated to the brighter light (like a week).
    Bernard, if they are still forming roots they don't need much water.
    I have trays full of odds and ends in the yard from potting up stuff. I haven't touched them in like a month. They will root out on their own without much prompting. When the roots appear then I may pot them up.

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, Aztcqn! I'll get the leaves that do root out in bright shade, next to my other succulents! I really, really want these babies to grow and develop — they're my firsts and the mother plants aren't common around here...

Your "...may pot them up..." made me smile given how, on my side, I'm so excited about my plantlets that I place them in pots as soon as I see roots ^^

I'm sure your next cuttings and leaf propagations will be more successful, Bernard; it does take trial and errors to get there — and it's okay, we learn as we go :)

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

You have the start of a fine collection. I'm very sure you'll have many favorites started from cuttings in your "stable" in no time.
    ;]

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many, many favorites — maybe too many... I have about thirty different plants right now; mostly succulents... and I still want more. Friends are calling me obsessed — I've offered "collector" instead. Somehow, though, it's contagious: a couple of them have decided to get some too...!

• ianna
    9 years ago

its fine. just transfer it now to a finer gritty mix. I started many succulent this way and it will eventually grow bigger.

• bernardyjh
    9 years ago
    Look at how sad they look!

They were doing fine the whole week when I left them in the bathroom untouched. My fingers were itchy and I decided to water it 2 consecutive days in a row and this is the result. I was also constantly concerned about my bonsai mix being too dry for the rootlings.

I guess they now look beyond salvageable. But one guy still look like it has more roots growing!

Should I just leave it be in the sun? Or toss it?
  • Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't toss them yet — again, I'm just as inexperienced as you are but, personally, I wouldn't give up just yet. I don't think the plantlet on the right, in your first picture, will make it (but don't toss it yet); but the other ones still seem to have a chance...

My policy, regarding leaves, is to keep them until they have finished yellowing and wrinkling and are just dead — had I tossed some before that, just because they didn't look like they would make it, I'd have no Kalanchoe leaf growing roots and no I-decided-to-sprout-a-plantlet-after-twenty-four-days-despite-the-fact-I-wasn't-very-well-detached-from-my-mother-plant-well leaf growing roots either...

Just stop watering for now... and place them somewhere else — I really think that bathroom is too humid...

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

hmm, Ive had a chocolate soldier pup for almost a year now and it still hasn't made roots. Its still alive because I mist it now and then. I just hope it grows roots before it gets blown away when I put all my c&s outside in a week or two.

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope it doesn't either, 0nametaken0; how small is it? and why don't you just keep it in...?

• forsakenmomiji
    9 years ago

I had also collected some echeveria leaves in my garden yesterday morning and I was wondering about how long it takes for the roots/leaves to grow...

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it depends... I've collected a variety (echeveria, pachyveria, graptosedumm kalanchoe...) and most took between ten days to fourteen days. One has taken twenty-four days to sprout a plantlet yet still has no roots. I've stopped counting days, now, as I have too many, collected on too many different days.

Patience, I've learned, is the keyword. Whatever you do, be patient.

I just leave mine on a trolley cart (I've posted a pic up in this thread) and check on them every now and then. I don't really do anything until they start sprouting roots; then I place them on potting mix which I keep moist.

I'm not expert, though, I've just begun propagating leaves — I just find that, so far, this has seem to work with me...!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Rooting wherever they fall without any interference by me - I don't mist them (they get water whenever I water the plant they share pot with), I don't move them, I don't 'tug' on them to see if there are any roots...I'll pot them up if they survive and grow bigger:

Some plants need very exact care if trying to root, but none of these above.

Rina

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those last two fuzzy ones are so pretty, Rina!

What are they?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Kalanchoe tomentosa Chocolate Soldier, it bloomed for me last summer:

Six Silver thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chocolate Soldiers? Awesome name and cute little bloom!

Thank you, Rina :)

• bernardyjh
    9 years ago

I left them by the windowsills for the weekend, and I must say, it's causing the roots to deteriorate for the worse. It's all dried, brown and crispy. I honestly think my environment is too dry. - they were doing really well in the bathroom, until I decided to water them consecutively for a few days worrying they might dry up. I think they turned yellow due to over-watering..

I've threw away a whole bunch of leaves I started the last time, and 80% of them are all curled up and dried to the crisp. (noting this was set up in a completely dry girtty mix, didn't water or touched them for 2 weeks in a slight shade)

Gonna reset and start a new tray. I've soaked the mix with water and dried them overnight. I feel like to encourage roots in my environment, I need some moisture induction.

I guess trial and error and and learn what works best for me.

Setting a timestamp for this one.. 04.26.15 (Sunday)

Putting them in a cool shade with some sunlight.. we'll see what happens 2 weeks later.

• bernardyjh
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience Rina, they look superb and grown so much!

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Such a varied batch of leaves! I hope you have better luck this time! Give us an update in two weeks :)

• forsakenmomiji
    8 years ago

A couple of my leaves have developed this pink dot where the leaf and the stem used to meet. Possibly a sign it's going to root? Hopefully it does...

• Mamma Bear
    8 years ago

Those are such cute little plants ! Can't wait to have some of my own ! Haha xD

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Forsakenmomiji, I think it might: that's how mine started...

Good luck with your plantlets :)

JuicyJ87, I have flagged your comment/image as it is inappropriate on this forum...

• forsakenmomiji
    8 years ago

Thank you Six Silver! :) You got my hopes up now, but I shouldn't get them up too high since they might die on me...

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How bout a picture, Forsakenmomiji? That might help...

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Six Silver, How are your plant-lets coming along?

It's been 2 weeks since I've laid down my new set of leaves and stem cuttings in the tray of gritty mix. I peeked in to look, and they aren't doing too well, or rather not much root movements sighted.

I picked up one of the burrito tails stem cutting, and it looks like white mold instead of roots formulating in the bottom.

My other 2 pre-rooted leaves cuttings are officially yellow mush; I saw that coming since the roots started crisping up.

Now I'm tempted to take them all out and place them in a new tray of peat soil that I had kept leftover when I had bought the new plants.

I don't understand why the girtty mix isn't my best friend in propagating cuttings. In terms of lighting, I kept them in a cool shady corner from the window. Could that possibly be the reason in slowing down the rooting process? Should I place them along with my other plants with light?

I'll take a picture later.

- Bernard

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm really sorry to hear you're still having problems propagating leaves and cuttings... perhaps that corner is indeed a little too shaded, a little cool — as I've mentioned, mine are sitting on a shelf, in front of a treated window; they get some light and, because my room faces SE, it's warmer than other rooms in my apartment... not overly so but just trying to say I'm not placing these leaves in "a cool corner".

So, unlike you, I have way too many plantlets that I need to take care of (i.e., place in gritty mix, which I actually need to make)... Hopefully, I'll be able to grow them into "real" plants soon — because, for now, most have just sprouted roots; and those who've sprouted leaves are still very tiny, especially that one I call my pretty and took forever to grow leaves (I'm actually concerned as it still has no roots!)...

The only two ones which are doing great are the first two leaves I propagated although, ever since I placed them out, in a sunnier location, their growth has slowed down... but then again, perhaps it was just the lack of sun and the fact they were elongating that made it seemed they were growing fast!

This morning, I placed one of my plantlets (a Graptosedum Franscesco Baldi) on top of a jar filled with water... We'll see how that goes and whether I have any luck!

I'll post pictures later, too :)

• forsakenmomiji
    8 years ago

You can kinda see the pink dot from this angle. The leaf cutting is still doing pretty good. I noticed the end has kind of hardened like all the stored water had been pushed to that side and the leaf's end is flimsy. Keeping my fingers crossed...

• forsakenmomiji
    8 years ago

Side view...bit blurry though my camera didn't want to focus, but you get the point.

• Six Silver
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I can't say whether that's a root trying to poke, Forsakenmomiji, but, hopefully, if it is, it'll come out soon — some of mine started with the tiniest little thing, I couldn't tell whether they were roots or just "something" poking out...

Bernard, here are the pics of the plantlet in water — I have plastic wrap on top to support the leaf while the roots go down through a small hole...

As for my Graptosedum batch, I finally placed all the leaves in a tray filled with mix... there are a few Sedum morganianum leaves and one Graptosedum bronze...

And here are the Sedum morganianum cuttings... don't know whether I want to put them in water or in mix...

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago
    This is my wilting party. None of the stems show signs of poking roots. Don't know it's the soil or the temperature. It's just frustrating to watch the whole plant wilt away along with a culled up stem.
  • bernardyjh
    8 years ago
    More pics, for some reason the app only enables me to upload 4 photos at a time.

On the other hand leaves have shown signs of rooting. But this time I'm determine to plant them on moist soil instead of suspending them on water.

I've repot them into a peat based mix, just to experiment and encourage moisture for growth. If it works out well, I'll just replant them when the roots grow out well.
  • forsakenmomiji
    8 years ago

After three full weeks one leaf is showing signs of growth...it's very minuscule though so I'm not going to be able to show a picture, but hope I will be able to in the future. Also should I put the leaf cuttings into indirect bright sunlight or in the shade with some lighting?

• bernardyjh
    8 years ago

Six Silver - UPDATES

My cuttings and leaves begun to sprawl roots like no tomorrow. I've transferred most of them back in the gritty mix tray with a layer of top soil protecting the roots from dehydrating. I know I shouldn't fiddle too much with them, but I can't help it! They are just too precious!

I've started watering dribbling water to keep up with the moisture. More photo updates this weekend.

momiji - I just leave them on a windowsill with light shade - that has given me the best results thus far, so my advise light shade from sun is the best. Make sure you get some small sized grits/turface as top soil to protect the roots from dehydrating while the leaves make food for more growth.

- B

• Neil
    8 years ago

I've been reading this thread and wanted to share some tips on propagation. A bathroom or any room where there is high humidity is not the proper environment to "root" a succulent leaf or cutting. Although the leaf or cutting may root and even develop a plantlet, it will be a much weaker plant. It's lifespan as a perennial plant would be greatly diminished. To understand this point fully, imagine a woman smoking and drinking throughout a pregnancy. Would her baby be born healthy? Maybe, Maybe not. But, why introduce that element of risk in the first place, especially when you don't have to? So please, no "trying to root" succulents in the bathroom or any space that has a high level of humidity. Do not "root" in water either. It will only serve to weaken the plant. Most of our succulents come from arid climates and that is what they need. Provide what it needs so it not only can grow and survive, but thrive.

About windowsills- Find out which direction your window faces. If you can look out of that window and the sun is blaring at you, it can damage your plants. The glass intensifies the light..concentrated sunlight which will fry the leaves and stems of most plants. Hang a sheer curtain or fabric so it's between the plant and the window which will diffuse the intensity of the sun's light.

Too Much Love- Pick a location that's warm. Not windy. Not humid. No direct sun. Do your propagating there. Do NOT water, spray or mist until the first roots have formed. Sometimes you will see a plantlet first. It's normal. Do NOT water yet. Your plantlet will get all of its nutrients and liquid from the leaf that is nurturing it. After roots have developed I spray mine about every three days. Three squirts with the spray bottle and nothing more. More importantly, during this time of development, resist the urge to move them. Some leaves and cuttings root quickly within 2 weeks; others 2 months or more, so be patient. Handling them or consistently moving their pot or whatever it is you're growing them in may impede their growing process. Let them do their thing and simply observe.

When to plant? When the leaf is practically all shriveled up you may carefully detach the new plantlet from it. With the roots attached of course! Sometimes the leaf will fall away on it's own, which would be even better.

Detach carefully and place on top of a well-draining cactus and succulent soil mix. You simply make a "dimple" in the soil with your finger and place your new plant on top. You do not have to bury it. After it's planted, wait a day then water. Water once a week after that. After a couple more weeks, your plant will have grown more and will be well-anchored in it's new home.

Apologies- I am in San Diego, California but, originally from "The Big Apple," so, if I seem to be abrupt it's probably because I am. But, no offense is intended. Thank you for "hearing" me.

My latest plantlets...all grown from leaves except the offset from my echeveria "tippy" in the middle. Approximately 6 weeks, all fully rooted and happy. Plants are so amazing and succulents in particular and so is this forum and the folks that contribute to it; a place we can collectively share our experiences. Thank you. NJC

• Terry Jones-Brady
    8 years ago

I had a gorgeous flapjack that hubby watered too much and all leaves fell off, but the stem is still there with no visible root rot. Any thoughts? Will it develop more leaves?

• Litmuspaper (Andrew)
    8 years ago

I just read through this thread and have served as great knowledge for a first time propagator.

@Neil - awesome tips. I'll have to resist from babying my leaves.

@Bernard - are there any updates on those leaves that seemed to be flourishing? Id love to know since we live in the same environment.

• expiredmintz
    5 years ago
    Hi there, I have been trying to propagate this succulent (I don't know what it's called) but it is not rooting. It's been 5 weeks. I have laid it on cactus soil. Leaves from my other succulents are propagating just fine. What am I doing wrong?
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    5 years ago

I'd leave them alone, they need more time. A friend here reminds folks plants grow on plant time not people time. It's up to them, not us.

Succulents are not candidates for terrariums, Glass containers are especially bad for succulents, pls do the leaves a favor & get them out of that bad environment ASAP before they rot.

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    5 years ago

5 weeks is a lot of time.. usually within a week or two you should notice roots or new leaves. Have you tried misting them to trigger some growth?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    5 years ago

Some take long time, but I agree with Matt that 5 weeks is quite long. Maybe leaves were 'tired' from growing in that terrarium?

• Zoffia Groh
    3 years ago

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before but I took an aloe leaf and opened it up/squeezed the aloe juice on the ends of mine that were taking a ling time rooting and it is a natural rooter. Look how crazy my roots are now!

• Zoffia Groh
    3 years ago

Sorry I thought it attached with my last comment.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Zoffia

No, it was not mentioned. But many leaves will do the same, without any help. Even just sitting on a tray or table - without any soil or anything else. Here are some leaves that were just waiting to be tossed in compost, on a plastic saucer, and they grew very vigorous roots and even plantlets. This is in less than a week - roots started to appear within 24 hrs on most, and plantlets in about 4 days:

No water, n soil, no rooting hormone of any kind...

ETA: But we know that there are few succulents that will not propagate from leaves, regardless of what is put on them, but from offsets. Rooting hormone is not needed for offsets either. I am not against using it, but why bother?

• Zoffia Groh
    3 years ago

Also I believe this is after 4 weeks from taking the leaves off the