SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organicgardendreams

Even in December...

... a lot of things are going on in my Southern California garden. Hope you like my pictures.

Moonstone.

William Shakespeare 2000. Got this rose in a one gallon pot from Chamblee's Rose Nursery yesterday. It even came with two buds! That's what I call instant gratification!

Marie Pavie is making a lot of buds right now. Go figure... I love her cute delicate blooms.

Our first Meyer Lemons are ripe. Yay!

Even though these roses are not grown in my garden I wanted to share this with you: I got this bouquet three days ago from a befriended Rosarian. She is so good in growing incredible roses. The soft apricot ones are Ambridge Rose and the light yellow ones are Mrs. Dudley Cross.

Christopher Marlowe. Always so changeable in his colors.

Devoniensis, Cl. This rose is more beautiful in person than I ever thought. The fragrance is wonderful, too!

Angel Face with dew drops.

Moonstone lasts a long time in a vase.

An unexpected iris bloom of 'Best Bet'.

Our Lady of Guadalupe. One of my most reliable bloomers.

Mrs. Dudley Cross close-up out of the bouquet from my rose friend shown further above in this photo thread. Isn't this a gorgeous rose?

Thanks for looking!

Christina

Comments (17)

• inga007
    13 years ago

Thank you for the refreshing blooms.
    Our very rainy Sunday, turned to blowing snow @ -12 degrees
    Centigrade.
    No more blooms here, for a while.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Great to see winter blooms! Thanks for sharing!

• Related Discussions

White Flowering ID on Shrub Please!

Q

Comments (3)
    how in the heck did i guess that.. lol ... its getting pretty big for the pot its in can you get it in mother earth this spring ... PROPER planting time is coming up soon ... [though i am guessing for a camelia .. MI dont do such .. lol] .. research proper timing if no one chimes in ... ken
    ...See More

Gardening Season - Cut flowers Now & How

Q

Comments (1)
    Another favorite for forcing would be willows.
    ...See More

Eagle video hoax

Q

Comments (6)
    It won't damage the reputation of eagles for thinking people but there are too many of the other kind. They are the ones that believe the world will end tomorrow because some period of time the Mayans used ends tomorrow. I assure you, some people believe that eagle picked up the baby and people will hear it as fact in the future.
    ...See More

When should I root prune?

Q

Comments (2)
    Root pruning will not cause rotting. Go ahead and prune them as soon as possible. But better yet, find them bigger pots! 15 inch pots are not very big for a full size rose. Even some minis will out grow a pot that size quickly. The bigger the pot the happier the rose will be for longer. Be careful with those self watering pots. The retain water in the bottom tray and that CAN cause root rot! I always remove any trays on the bottoms of my pots and drill in extra drainage holes. I also put them put on wire pot trolleys, off the ground, so they can drain easily. While roses do like a lot of water they do not like to have their roots sitting in water.
    ...See More
  • sanrosa
    13 years ago

Beautiful photos and flowers and LEMONS! I miss citrus. I grew up in Phoenix, Az and the thought of citrus blossoms and fruits is very cheering and nostalgic. Nothing so sunny as lemons in the winter! And Meyer lemons are yummy.
    I adore Moonstone, but too cold where I live now. Thanks for the photos, though! It's going to be about 60F here today; I don't know what's worse, fine weather and nothing growing, or awful weather and nothing growing!
    I'm glad you have fresh photos to share!
    Sandra

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

You exquisitely captured these roses. I only have Angel Face but now I want the rest.

Congrats on getting Wm. Shakespeare 2000. Look forward to hearing how you like him.

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks to all of you for your very nice comments!

Inga, wow - 12 degrees Centigrade that is really cold. We had 28 degrees Celsius/82 degrees Fahrenheit today! What a contrast in temperatures. Stay as warm as possible. At least you can always dream about roses.

Jim, coming from Germany it is still a miracle to me to be able to have roses in the winter, even though technically it is still autumn right now ;-).

Sandra, yes living in a climate where you can grow lemons is absolutely great. Our two lemon trees are carrying fruits for the first time. I am so excited about this!
    Moonstone seems to be a fine rose. I am just growing it for the first year, but so far it has been outstanding. I only wish it would be more fragrant and right now it is plagued by mildew for the first time, though.

Iris gal, it always makes me happy when I inspire someone to get more roses :-)! I will keep you updated on William Shakespeare. The flower is a little bit more open today and the fragrance is a really nice Old Garden Rose-type to my nose. Love it!

Christina

• snowheather
    13 years ago

Exquisite flowers,Christina! I love irises almost as much as roses, and they make good companions, don't they! My Meyer Lemon still has fruits, although I have to wheel it in and out of the garage all winter, depending on the weather. At Thanksgiving, I made Wassail, with fresh lemons as a key ingredient - and it was declared the best ever by my family!

Our Lady of Guadalupe is one of my top favorite floribundas - and I am a floribunda addict, so that says a lot! Not only does she bloom a lot, but the blooms are lovely, as your picture shows.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Devoniensis takes my breath away.
    Renee

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, snowheather! I love irsis, too, but unfortunately they don't grow too well in my garden. Wow, wheeling a lemon tree in and out of the garage all winter long is a lot of work to get your lemons, but Meyer Lemons are worth it :-)!
    I am actually quite the opposite of you I am not a big floribunda fan, but 'Our Lady of Guadalupe' is an exception. Since you are into floribundas I am curious to know what is your absolutely favorite one?

Renee, I know from pictures of your garden that you have quite a bit of land and Devoniensis, Cl. might be perfect for you for that reason, since it is supposed to get very tall. So if you like my pic maybe you should consider to grow it...
    I am gardening only on a small suburban plot and I new when I bought this rose that I may not have the room to plant her into the ground (the rose is growing in a container right now), but I had to find out by myself what the fuss is about this rose, since I only saw Devoniensis Cl. on pictures before I got it. I totally aggree now that her flowers are almost disturbingly beautiful! And her fragrance, oh boy...

Christina

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

Beautiful roses Christina, especially Our Lady of Guadalupe, I especially like that one. And lucky you! You have lemons, I wish we could grow citrus here but it is just too cold in the winter.

• snowheather
    13 years ago

Wow, that is a hard question, Christina, as I am known as "The Floribunda Queen" around here! I guess I would say BLACK CHERRY is my top favorite, although PRETTY LADY is a close second, tied with OUR LADY. No, wait, I forgot CAMILLE PISSARRO is my favorite, no, ENCHANTED EVENING. See, I can't stop. I must say I have shoveled pruned a lot of hybrid teas, but only one floribunda, and that was because it was a thrip magnet. Why do I love them, because the wonderful colors, the easy care and constant bloom!

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you ramblinrose! Our Lady of Guadalupe is a great rose there is no question: beautiful, not fussy at all, and very easy to grow.

snowheather, thanks for taking the time and listing your favorite floribundas. I had great fun to look them all up on HMF and Pretty Lady and Enchanting Evening look especially appealing to me. These two go on my rose wish list. In the near future I neat at least one more floribunda for the front yard and these two would be a good match. Thanks again for pointing them out to me.

Christina

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Exquisitely beautiful roses, Christina, and the photography is truly outstanding. I never knew Christopher Marlow was so beautiful; I love his colors. Devoniensis is a dream rose and I absolutely love your last picture with Mrs. Dudley Cross. You've captured the colors of your iris beautifully. I hope you'll post a picture of the open bloom of Wm. Shakespeare; I'm sure it will be gorgeous. I'm beginning to wish I had tried this rose.

Ingrid

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ingrid, thank you for your kind words!
    The color of Christopher Marlowe on the photo is much lighter than usual, must be the winter...
    I have to agree about Devoniensis Cl. being a dream rose. The flower lasted a long time on the bush and it had a good petal substance. Therefore I assume it will make a nice cut flower and last in the vase, too.
    William Shakespeare 2000 opened fully and is still on the band! I promise I will post a pic on my next photo thread. I have a gut feeling you really would like this rose. It has a nice "old rose-fragrance" to my nose.

Christina

• BecR
    13 years ago

What beautiful roses and photos, Christina! I esp love the Moonstone and the OLOG (which I have 3 of, and yes she is such a reliable bloomer in my s. calif. garden, too--I love this rose!) and what a beautiful bouquet from your rosey friend! How do you like Moonstone?

Becky

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Becky, thanks for your nice compliment! I like Moonstone a lot so far, just would wish it had a little bit more fragrance. My rose is growing own-roots and came from Heirloom Roses just about a year ago. For such a young rose it is quite vigorous and has bloomed a lot. As you can see I already got some good cut roses from it. The flowers last a decent time on the plant and also in the vase. Right now my Moonstone has some rust, though. Overall as far as I can say by now I would recommend the rose. Hope that helps!

Bye the way I also have 3 Our Lady of Guadalupe roses. Besides Iceberg this is the only rose I have 3 multiples of, which says a lot. I really think it is an outstanding floribunda.

Christina

• henrikslo
    13 years ago

Beautiful pictures Christina ! Weather conditions here
    in Slovenia are the same as Inga wrote .
    I wish I could grow some teas ...
    I always drool over pictures of Devoniensis , Gloire de Dijon , Marechal Neil and others .
    Someday , I'll have a greenhouse , and then...

Henrik

• organicgardendreams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Henrik! Yes, the Tea roses are a wonderful class of roses. I just have discovered them a year ago for myself thanks to a rose friend and GardenWeb! I can't wait until mine are really coming into there own.

For me Devoniensis Cl. stands out among the Tea roses that I grow in terms of its beauty, even though I consider all my Tea roses beautiful. I really adore this rose. Anther good thing is that its petals have a lot more substance to them than most of the other Teas do and the flower last a long time on the bush and probably in the vase, too.

Wishing you that you get your greenhouse soon. Maybe you can let Santa know ;-)!

Christina

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES