SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

How many squares to give to each veggie?

kristimama
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm plotting out our new veggie garden, and wondering if I could get your help with figuring out how many squares to give to each of our favorite veggies? I just don't know how much each plant yields.

I've been looking at Mel's book and supplementing with a Rodale Organic Gardening book, but there are honestly some veggies I don't understand how they harvest. How much they yield and for how long.

-Carrots, I understand... 1 seed = 1 carrot. Right? Same with radishes? I know I'll probably devote several squares to a few varieties of these, and stagger a couple squares every couple weeks on these. Easy peasy.

--Broccoli, does one broccoli plant keep going all season, or do you only get the main head and a few side heads before you pull it and start over? I mean, do you stagger broccoli for harvesting? And how much does 1 square of broccoli produce? It's about the only veg my 2 year old will eat... so it's on the table every single night year round. I'm wondering if I should devote several squares to this one.

--Kale... I think it's a brassica but it always is sold like a lettuce. Do we plant a single plant and keep cutting the leaves? How many leaves does 1 plant produce... i.e. how many squares of these if I want to leave the garden with a big bowl of kale leaves to braise?

--Chard, same question... do you stagger your plantings or just keep harvesting the same plant? And how many to plant?

-melons, I'm so excited about growing these because we LOVE LOVE melons in the summer. I did read that the trellis approach doesn't yield much... how many melons does a single plant put out this way? Also, has anyone done them without the trellis in a designated box? I don't have a ton of places where I can use the trellis and may try growing them in mel's mix but on the ground in their own box.

-peppers, I've never grown these before. Are they as prolific as tomato plants? I have been buying those little mini sweet peppers at Trader Joes by the bucket and spending a small fortune, so I may end up with a few of these plants.

-basil, how big do the basil plants get in SFG? (I had a friend with a traditional garden and her basil would get to 5' tall and wide.)

-strawberries, I'm going to put these in their own box (separate from the 80ish SF I mentioned previously) but am wondering how many plants to get. I can make a box that is up to 2'x8' devoted entirely to strawberries (I'm going to run it along one whole section of my foundation), but is that too much space?

-winter squashes... same question as melons about how much yield they give using the trellis. I have some limitations in how many trellises I can do (because of views, blocking windows, etc.). If I end up with more squares than I need I could also just make a box specifically for winter squashes growing on the ground. Would that even work with mel's mix, or would they get so heavy they'd weight down the soil?

-peas... Mel's book talks about sugar snap peas but we all prefer the shelling peas. I guess they're called "english peas." Anyone know the spacing and yield on these? My kids LOVE them and we have plenty of fun shelling them together. How many squares would I need to get a respectable harvest of these things?

I have a better sense about some of our other favorites, but if you have any opinions about these I'd love to hear them, too:

-grean beans... I am PRETTY sure that 1 square of a variety should be plenty of yield for us, right? For fun, we'll probably add an extra square with a second variety of bean just for some interesting flavors.

-tomatoes... this is pretty clear for us. Our challenge will be to be able to narrow our choices down to just a few plants. LOL

-cucumbers, we're not huge cuke eaters but I'll probably give it a square so we have some for salads.

-zucchini, this is an easy decision because I'm going to devote an entire 3x3 or even a 4x4 box to these because we like them and, as I mentioned, trellis space is limited to do a vining squash.

-flowers like marigolds and nasturtiums I'll include in the extra squares for pest control and pretty decoration.

Thanks for wading through this list. I'm still laying out my space but depending on how I configure the boxes I'll have somewhere between 80 and 95 square feet of planting... which actually seems like a lot of space to me. I'm eager to fill it with veggies so I can stop spending our "Whole Paycheck" at Whole Foods. LOL

THANKS!

Kristi

Comments (7)

Sponsored