SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kylera

SFG spacing for melons, pumpkins and squash

kylera
16 years ago

I have started my very first SFG and an very excited. I started out intending not to overdo it... but I'm finding I really want one of these, and one of those, and one of the other thing...

For those of you who have grown melons, pumpkins and squash vertically, I have some questions:

1. Do they *really* need two square feet dedicated to each plant?

2. And is if so, does the two foot wide side need to be along the trellis (so it takes up 2 feet of trellis) or could you place the trellis 1' in from the edge of the box and then have the 2' per plant be 1 box in front of the trellis and one box behind the trellis (taking up only 1' of trellis space)?

3. If you DO have the trellis in 1' from the edge of the bed, could you plant vining crops that only need 1 square foot of space on either side of the trellis, so that they would need to share the trellis space... would that work? Or would it be too crowded? Or too shaded on the "backside" of the trellis?

4. Our boxes are placed on top of cement (by necessity), so we can't use the rebar into the ground supporting conduit method for the trellises. My husband was planning to use the conduit, and use the clamps that screw into the wood of the box. Would this be strong enough to support fairly heavy plants (acorn squash, cantaloupe, icebox watermelons, etc)?

5. How exactly do you make a sling for the heavier items?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I really appreciate your help!

Many thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored