SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

I'm back!

sahoyaref
19 years ago

Well, we had a wonderful trip to Georgia! I loved seeing green grass and trees again, and for the last week it was as warm as it gets here in the summer! Wonderful weather! I have to say that you Americans are very fortunate to have all of the plants easily available to you that I saw at Target and Lowes. I got a Calathea 'Eclipse' (roseo-picta) at Target for $8 that costs $35 here (for a slightly larger size, but still!), and I would have bought several plants at Lowes, but I was on a budget, and also had to fit all of my purchases into my carry-on for the flight home. Unfortunately, I was unable to find the few plants I desperately wanted: Bllra. Tahoma Glacier 'Green', pink or purple cryptanthus, and a cobra lily. I suppose it was the wrong season for cobra lilies, and Lowes did have crypts, but they were all green or a dull reddish-black. It's great to be home again though, and my smallest mini phal was in full bloom when we walked in the door! =) It's very cute. My terrarium did quite well while I was gone. The pink polka-dot plant was mostly dead, eaten by the snails, so I pulled it out, and the entire terrarium was flooded, courtesy of the misting system, but I just syphoned the excess out, and everything is great! I guess the plants have been growing hydroponically for a while. =) I must get my husband to hook up that tiny fan in there soon to help evaporate what I couldn't suck out. A tree fern had finally sprouted a new leaf though, and a dend. that I thought was going to spike has made a cute little keiki. I wanted to see the flowers, but oh well! I've never seen a keiki before, so this is neat, too. I also put my new tillandsias in, and they look great! Most of them are just kind of tossed in, because I need to get more driftwood to mount them on, but that can wait. I will also be setting up a new terrarium for CPs soon, now that I got a VFT, ping, and nep from Black Jungle. I do NOT recommend Black Jungle, by the way, unless you only order tillandsias. Those are great, very healthy, but their other stuff is mostly junk. Small plants, in poor health, with lots of leaf damage, and no, it was not cold damage from shipping. The ping is actually pretty good, but the VFT is squashed, and the nep has about two healthy leaves now that I've cut the bad ones off. Also got an Alocasia nebula variety, which they substituted (against my wishes) for the species, which has now totally died, they also sent the wrong calathea (which I didn't want), and the mini peace lily was terribly damaged. They also refused to fix thier mistakes, so it's basically my problem and I'm SOL. So don't order plants from them! Except for tillies. Oh yeah, and the Anubias was also decent. All in all though, a very fun trip, and I will never travel with a baby again! Calvin got every possible illness the entire last week, and that was not fun. Fortunately, he recovered in time for the plane flight, but he was still crabby. Oh yeah, and I'm pregnant again! =) Not feeling sick or anything this time, so that's great. Anyways, I'll post new pics of my terrarium(s) when I've fixed them up.

Comments (9)