SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lzc10

my one year old traditional bed

lzc10
17 years ago

Hi All,

I am new to square foot gardening. I found the book last month. i am currently reading and love it. I want to do it this way.

I have relatively big back yard. But Last year, I have got around 15x30 sqft area tilled and filled with around 4 to 6 cubic yards of compost blend(might have around 3 varieties in blend). It cost me around 300$. I didn't have any borders setup.

That area feels too big for me and I am stepping all over the bed and compacting the soil. and I have got lots of weeds. I won't be able to weed exclusively(I have a toddler running around me and want to help me :)). neither i don't want to spend all my time weeding. i want to do it sqft way.

So I want to divide it into three beds. I purchased 20 8x8x16 cement blocks. made one bed so far(horizontal) with 7Bricks X 3 bricks ie 9'x4' I want to make another 10'x4' vertical and another 5'x4' with 3' walk ways in between. I am shoveling the compost from the existing bed around the new raised beds.

I am not putting any weed cloth under it. I hand picked all the weeds from the bed before i started filling. i am sure there are still some roots left. It won't be mels mix if i do that. Is all the work I am doing worth it? or Is it better to start all over again? or can i buy some peatmoss and vermiculite and mix it in the existing soil? My back is all sore from shoveling into just one bed on sunday. But I am willing to take what ever it is worth. otherwise all my work will be waste. I know that It will be too late and too tough to change anything later.

I would like request your input on this.

Please help this newbie.

Thanks.

Avany

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting