SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
choxie_gw

I done done it now!!!!!!! SFG in the back of the house.

choxie
15 years ago

SFG newbie here,

I built a 4Âx4Âx6"bed. The North side is up against my house.

It gets sun from 10 am to 6:30 Â 7 pm.

I am in zone 7 (NC).

Here is my plant list:

Green beans - All bush variety (Italian, Roma II Â purple, Bush Blue Lake)

Broccoli (Barbados, De Cicco)

Cantaloupe (Hales Best Jumbo and maybe seed from store bought)

Cucumbers (Burpless)

Lettuce  (Salad Bowl, Romaine, Mesclin Mix, Bibb)

Onions (yellow from seed)

Garlic (Cloves from store bought bulb)

Peas (Alaska, Sugar snap)

Spinach (Bloomsdale, Teton)

Watermelon (Sugar Baby)

Cabbage

I figured that the cantaloupe, Cucumbers, Watermelon, and Peas would go against the wall on the trellis.

So here is my configuration:

North Side/Trellis/House

Peas(A&B)----Cant----------Cukes----------Watermelon

Broc(A)------Spin(A)-------G-Bean (A)-----Lett(A)

Broc(B)------Spin(B)-------G-Bean (B)-----Lett(B)

Onions-------Lett(D)-------G-Bean (C)-----Lett(C

South Side

Ambitious? Yeah! But I am up to it.

I also have 4 Earthboxes that I love. In those I am planting Corn, tomatoes (roma and beefsteak), Squash (zucchini and yellow), Bell peppers, Eggplant, and Okra. Later in the season, I will plant some collards.

I also have some planters that will have Carrots, tomatoes (purple and yellow pear), herbs.

I already have some strawberries in a pot. I may build another bed (2x1) just for them and transplant them.

I love gardens and have been just trying to fit it all into pots and my Earthboxes because I did not have a lot of space. But now, I think the SFG is going to work out great for me.

My daughter and I mixed the mix for the space and I built the box y myself. I could only find fine vermiculite, so I bought that. I have about a gallon bag of course/medium vermiculite from the gas log fireplace company. IÂll mix about a half cup full into the soil as I plat the seeds.

I am planting tonight. I wanted to do it this weekend, but time got away from me. So tonight (if it is not raining), I will be planting.

Comments (4)

Sponsored