SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

What do you think I should do?

gardengrl
22 years ago

I have a dilemma...after careful consideration, I've decided to pursue a masters degree in Horticulture Science. My eventual goal is to open up my own garden/nursery center in the midwest. I am currently in Florida and although it would probably cheaper and quicker for me to attend a university here in Florida, I don't think it is a good idea if I want to move to the midwest which has a whole different growing zone and plant selection, etc.

A friend of mine told me that it didn't matter if I went to a university here or somewhere else, that a horticulture degree is the same where ever you go. I disagree, as I tend to think that a university here in Florida would concentrate on the local horticulture more than what I would find out of state. I think that it would benefit me more to go to a college near where I plan to move to, since it would be better for me to have more hands on experience in that zone/plants etc. My friend says that I'm going to learn about all that stuff anywhere..

What do you think I should do? It would be cheaper and quicker for me to stay here, but then I'm afraid that I won't be well prepared for the experienced "old timer" gardeners if I later move up north.

Comments (5)

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Oops...I just realized that this is in the wrong forum. Sorry!

• Arkansasgardenboy
    22 years ago

It is totally up to you. If you think so do so. I would think you could adjust after having done it in Florida. That is my opinion. Do what you gotta do.

• Shellyglu
    22 years ago

I definitely think you should go to hort school in the area where you plan to have the business, unless you already have extensive knowlege of the plants in the midwest--I'm guessing climate zone 5 or possibly 6. There is a vast difference in the flora between the midwest and Florida, and my educated guess is that hort school in Fla will focus on plants grown in that climate. This will not set you up for being knowledgeable about the very business you want to be in.

Although I don't regret it, as I did not go into a plant business, I got my BS in botany in the Pacific Northwest, zone 8, but made my home in Ohio. I learned alot about the Pac NW native flora, as well as all the woody ornamentals that grow there. I fell in love with broad-leaf evergreens and many plants that simply will not grow here. I had alot to learn about growing in the midwest when I got back from college. Florida is an even more extreme case.

Also, when you go to grad school, the idea is to specialize, and to learn more specific information for a career, than most bachelor's degrees, which tend to be more general. Might as well specialize in the plants you want to focus your business on.

Well thats my opinion...good luck!!! Let us know what you decide!
    Shelly

• andalee
    22 years ago

Whatever you do, talk to all the prospective schools and attendant departments FIRST! They're the ones who know what their program covers.

Good luck, and grow on!

• scrutinizer
    18 years ago

Education is important and a big investment of your time and money. Make sure that you get the best return on this investment by making informed decisions and carefully evaluate the school that you plan to attend.

Here is a link that might be useful: School of Horticulture

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions