SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryt_gardener

Starting a temporary Perenial garden

maryt_gardener
17 years ago

I am very new to the south. Just moved here a week or so ago. I"ve gardened in Wisconsin and in North Dakota. I LOVE perenials and shrubs but we are renting a house possibly for as much as 2 years.

The last place we lived was Fargo ND and we had to rent there too, I did have a nice perenial garden there, though small, and I dug and gave away the plants before we moved here.

What I would like to do here is plant perenials that I will be able to take with me when we buy our own house. We expect to do that in a year or two. (we always used to own our own home but hubby was out of work for a period and hence we had to sell and relocate for work--has a good job now, but we need to rebuild credit)

Anyhow-- I would LOVE to try growing some of the things that grow in the south--Gardenias especially, and other of the gorgeous plants I've seen.

Wondered if anyone has good plant suggestions, a good book to reccomend?

I have no idea--should I start anything now or wait til Spring--and when is spring here? We live in Charlotte NC.

we have a nice sized yard and I can plant here. I have some experience with propogating methods, but very little with tropical or subtropical plants.

Hubby's favorite flower is gardenia. I think they grow here correct?

thanks for any helpful hints! Mary

Comments (6)

Sponsored