SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmc_in_atlanta

Encore azaleas not thriving--suggestions?

KMc_in_Atlanta
19 years ago

With visions of graceful Southern mansions dancing in my head, I planted a dozen azaleas under the huge Water Oak on the northeast corner of the house. They get maybe 3 - 4 hours of morning sun, then are in shade.

Half of the azaleas are the evergreen gumpo type and are doing great; the other half are the new Encore azaleas and are not so great. Of course I MEANT to buy 6 of the same type--Autumn Amethyst, but I ended up with 5 Amethyst, and 1 Autumn Empress (I didn't discover my mistake until I had planted all of them and by that time was too exhausted to dig up the interloper and take it back). Naturally, the Autumn Empress has done the best of the Encores, although all have bloomed spring and fall as advertised.

Trouble is that the Autumn Amethyst looks terrible as a shrub--straggly, leaves thin and small. It's not really growing either. I fertilize and water religiously, so I don't think it's that. Could they be in too much shade? I see from the tags that Encores should be located in "light shade to full sun." Should I move 'em out from under the tree?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for your help! KMc

Comments (36)

Sponsored