SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_158212884

Encore Azalea Advice: Too much sun?

Marie
last year

Hello! I'm new to this forum and gardening and hope that some azalea expert can help me with advice!

I bought three Autumn Carnation Encore Azaleas (3 gallon pots) and planted them in my zone 7 (Brooklyn, NY), south-facing garden in full sun against the foundation of my house. I planted them in mid-spring. I mulched them well. The website where I got them said that this kind of azalea loves full sun and is drought-resistant after the first year.

We had a really hot summer, and despite my watering them frequently, two of the three plants got pretty scorched and about half of each of the two plants died. I cut away the dead parts. The third is thriving, and the other two are green and happy in the parts that lived and growing back a little in the halves that died. But the two damaged ones are still scrawnier than when they first arrived, due to the damage. I have three questions: should I not have chosen this particular variety for that location, and will I have this problem every summer, or is this just because, during the first year, the Autumn Carnation is less drought resistant? Maybe it's not really true that they are drought-resistant. My second question is: should I try to replace those two "wounded" plants with fresh ones (I do want to fill out this foundation area sooner rather than later, and now two of the bushes a bit unshapely), or just wait to see how those two look in the spring? Third question: if it's a good idea to replace those two, is it okay to do it in the fall or better to wait for spring? I do want the three azaleas to be about the same size, so I know that starting over with two would mean the third would look too large, but maybe I could prune the happy, healthy third one.

I guess I have yet another question! When I planted them, they looked so small in that space that I planted dahlias between them to temporarily fill it out a little, expecting that the dahlias would die as annuals (yes, I know I can lift them but I am not ready for that level of gardening expertise!). The dahlias are super happy and have grown, but I have to wonder if maybe I thwarted the growth of my azaleas by planting a competitor. What do you think?

Thank you!

Comments (2)

Sponsored