SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cicadidae

strange vines crawling all over trees???

cicadidae
17 years ago

Hello!

I just moved to Kentucky from the Pacific Northwest. The plants that I find the most unusual here are these humongous vines that seem to have almost taken over several large trees here. One vine looks like a grape type of vine and has tendrils that are reaching out. Another vine has HUGE fuzzy vines that seem to have encircled the trees long ago. Some are as big in diameter as 3-4" thick. These vines send out what I guess I would call pseudo branches..dark leaves and some odd kind of flowering heads. Another vine appears to be like what I would have known as vinca only I don't see the flowers. The original tree has oak-like leaves and seems to produce a walnut type of fruit.

I have always been very much into gardening and the sight of these vines make me sick. Clearly they have existed for years and I question if removing them might actually harm the trees tho. If possible, I would like to get these vines off of the trees before they kill them.

I dont see that this forum has photo capability but will take pics as soon as it stops raining and post them where possible.

If you know anything about these vines/parasitic plants, I would be very grateful for any information you might have in dealing with them.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

Sponsored