SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rainfallki_gw

Sea Grape Tree - fungus / insects? - links to pics included

rainfallki
13 years ago

Hi everyone.

I hope someone can help - We have a very large, beautiful sea grape tree in our front yard and I recently noticed some things going on.

I first noticed what I thought were ant hills all around the base. This morning while walking the dog, I noticed there are what look like green bees going into these hills. So we have some sort of ground nesting bees now living all around the base of this tree.

After noticing the hills, I noticed that the leaves are being eaten by something. They are getting holes in them and the edges are being eaten. I included a picture of these little things that are hanging on the tree - they feel like some sort of plant material and when we bought the house a few months ago they were on the house, fence, screens... anything with a surface, really. I'm wondering if they are some sort of moth cocoon?

And yesterday I noticed a fungus growing on the bark of the tree. It is a shade of orange. The leaves are now getting "rusty" on the undersides, in addition to the holes being eaten.

Tree fungus and leaf holes )

Bee hills and bees

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the bees, fungus and whatever is eating my tree? I'm hoping the bees are a separate issue from whatever is going on with the tree, but would love to hear any thoughts you may have.

Thanks!

Tracy

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!