SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kamiljablo

Possible Swap?

kamiljablo
15 years ago

Flowers are affordable trend setters; they can be used in unexpected ways.

Flowers have held an eminent place in our art, religions, pharmacopoeia, and kitchens since ancient times. Tangled pea vines and primitive roses are depicted on Bronze Age artifacts. Mustard flowers were included in Roman love potions for their aphrodisiac powers.

The Renaissance cook did not confine flowers to vases. In the fourteenth century, peony roots were deemed a food fit exclusively for kings. Carnations and dianthus were so important that an entire book was written about them. Tansie, a type of sweet omelet, could be colored purple with violets or yellow with cowslips and marigolds.

The herbalist Gerard suggested in 1597 that "oregano is very good against the wambling of the stomacke." Daisies steeped in wine with sage and southernwood were considered a cure for insanity if the patient drank this mixture for fifteen days. In medieval times a bath of aromatic thyme was thought to cure hangovers and restore bravery and vigor to exhausted soldiers.

Flowers add romantic history to our food. They lend a charming, healthy, and unusual dimension to our tables. During Queen Victoria's reign there was a Primrose Day. A fanciful recipe for fairy cups called for a peck of flowers pounded with ladyfingers, three pints of cream, sixteen eggs and a little rosewater, buttered and baked with sugar on top.

Edible petals are easy to grow at home. They have become readily available at produce stores and farmers markets. Their flavors range from sweet to snappy and they compliment everything from artichokes to zabaglione.

I was wondering if I start an "Edible Flower Swap" would anyone be interested? If so I will need some help as this would be my first time hosting a swap.

Some edible flowers:

Angelica

Anise Hyssop

Apple

Arugula

Basil

Bee Balm

Borage

Burnet

Calendula

Carnation

Chamomile

Chicory

Chives

Chrysanthemum

Clover

Coriander

Cornflower

Dandelion

Day Lily

Dill

English Daisy

Fennel

Fuschia

Gardenia

Gladiolus

Hibiscus

Hollyhock

Honeysuckle

Hyssop

Impatiens

Jasmine

Johnny-Jump-Up

Lavendar

Lemon Blossom

Lemon Verbena

Lilac

Mallow

Marigold

Marjoram

Mint

Nasturium

Okra

Pansy

Pea

Pineapple Guava

Pineapple Sage

Primrose

Radish

Redbud

Rose

Rosemary

Runner Bean

Safflower

Scented Geranium

Snapdragon

Society Garlic

Squash Blossom

Sunflower

Thyme

Tuberous Begonia

Violet

Yucca

Thanks,

Kamil
Flowers are affordable trend setters; they can be used in unexpected ways.

Comments (26)