SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Jack Frost - Need a Companion Plant for Potting

lovefornature
16 years ago

I am absolutely in love with my Jack Frost Plant. Right now it is planted in the ground.

I hope that someone here can answer my questions.

I purchased a wooden barrel sage green container that is about 6 inches deep and 14 1/2 inches in diameter. It is buried about 2 inches down into the soil under my Maple Tree and does receive some sunlight.

Does anyone have a mature Jack Frost that can tell me how far down the root system travels?? I have looked everywhere and cannot find this information. I can purchase a deeper barrel if necessary.

Also, how do you think it would fair with overwintering in that pot where it sits (Zone 5B IL)? It grows in Zone 3.

I also wanted to know if anyone here might know what a great companion plant to this Jack Frost would be? I would not want anything much higher than what the Jack Frost matures to. Maybe 3-5 inches taller. I was thinking a hosta, but which one? I know that I especially like the more heart shaped leaved hostas. Hardiness in Zones would be important too.

I also just wanted to let everyone know that under my Norway Maple (Crimson King) this Jack Frost just glows like diamonds. Wonderful plant!!

Thanks all in advance :-)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting