SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hortwoman

Building a nursery bed , your tips?

Hortwoman
19 years ago

I am posting this in the shade forum because many of you have given me suggestions for this in my post about my future shade beds.

I am mentally preparing for winter and what I will do with my seed started perennials. I had mentioned that I was going to put my plants in pots and build a "corral" out of railroad ties, and fill in the spaces around the pots with mulch to protect the plants. Some of you suggested planting the seedlings directly into the ground--into a nursery bed.

It is more convenient for me to not plant in the ground, as I have a big gravel parking lot on my property behind an old shed. I wanted to use this gravel space for putting the pots there, and it is out of eye sight as well.

I have come up with an idea--one that seems to combine both my idea and your suggestions. Rather than making the expense to build and impromptu nurery bed, I have considered purchasing some of those plastic kid swimming pools when they clearance out this fall (that and have people watch the yard sales for me). I would drill holes in the bottoms for drainage, and would mulch the seedlings/plants and put hay bales all around the pool for winter protection.

Would this be an adequate set up for me? I have seeded a lot of Hosta seeds that were generously donated to me from Christie from Missouri!!! and have the best of hopes for good germination. What I dont know is how big these can expect to get by this fall, and whether or not they should be put outside at such a young stage, in the event I do get good germination. How big are 3or4 month old Hosta seedlings?

I know some have suggested direct seeding. I think I am probably too impatient for that! Although I will try a few. I have also researched wintersowing, and am planning ot try that as well.

I appreciate ALL advice and tips on nursery beds! You guys are the best!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville