SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azponder

Desert Water Gardening Tips? Recommend a Pond Shop/Nursery?

azponder
17 years ago

I am building my pond soon and need to find a Water Gardening retailer in the Valley (south east valley preferably)? The ones I have found through the net and yellow pages are either for landscapers with no "expert" help to question or are like Home Depot with small pond DIY types of kits. I need to buy my filter/pump/liner etc, but want to make sure there isn't some "desert pond no-no" I might be facing.

I have a small pond and learned a lot of the basic mistakes of building a pond either the hard way by making them myself or reading about them online. However, I have yet to find anyone talking specifically about ponds in Arizona summers. Even my Southwest Watergarden book strikes out.

What I am having the toughest time figuring out is how desert heat relates to the labeling of plants as needing full sun. Does a lily that needs full sun....need it for photosynthesis or will full sun in the valley deep fry it?

My pond will reside in the corner of my lot under two trees with the 5ft block wall of my property fence on two sides of it. (and I have come to terms with the extra work the leaf skimming will require as I do not have a "tree free" area to choose from). Because of my house, the fence and the trees the pond will only get an hour or so of direct sun around noon. It is heavily shaded by my house or the fence between dawn and 9am and 3 till dusk.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus