SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gaijingirl

Help me - I'm scared to prune my roses.

gaijingirl
15 years ago

It's the first year I've had them (they were planted in May last year) and I am assuming I should be pruning, but I am so confused about when to do it and how much!

I've done a ton of reading on it and I feel like I keep getting a different answer from every book. Some say after the growing season, some say just before....

I'm not sure what is best for this area and for what I have.

I have two Knockouts, and I read on their official website don't need to be pruned, but they could use some "grooming".

And, I also have two monstrous Kiss Kordana Miniature roses that are probably in desperate need of something done. They are a Kordes rose and on their website they say to "cut the plant back 5 cm above the soil." But, they are about 2.5 ft. tall now, so that seems like a lot...of course I probably don't know much of anything either, but I am scared to cut that much off them. 5 cm is very small!

When should I be pruning? I really don't want to cause any permanent damage! I so much enjoyed watching these plants grow from tiny little things and it would be horrible to hurt them after that.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH