SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danzone4

Nosy Neighbor

DanZone4
9 years ago

My retired, next door neighbor seems to have taken an unhealthy interest in my outdoor activities that until now have not affected him in any way. I have caught him peeking around corners many times. He cut down a bush of his to make it easier for him to watch me and has made several comments that he could only have known if he was watching me from his partly closed shade window. Creepy.

Between my house and his, I have a pushed back detached garage and driveway. There is a 8 foot area of dirt between my driveway and his house to work with and only 4 feet of that is mine.

I have explored the idea of a fence, but the 6 foot rule falls short of blocking him out. A hedge may be my only answer.

My concerns are as follows:
1- Limited plant selections Zone 4a. (-25F)
2- Limited space to plant (4 feet)
3- Planting close to neighbors house. (6 feet from hedge)
4- High maintenance bushes.
5- Need something about 10-15 feet high.
6- Need medium to fast grower.

My neighbor already has privet bushes closer to his house than I would, if I went with them. He can't complain about that.

The down side is Privet bushes are high maintenance and have poisonous berries. Not ideal for family or pets.

Arborvitae (the shorter ones) seem to be slow growers and are not very attactive in my opinion.

I am leaning towards the Standing Ovation Serviceberry as a hedge. My issue is I am not sure if the root system would cause issues with the neighbors foundation. Yes, I know the serviceberry will loose its leaves, but I am not ouside much in the winter.

Any ideas on what I should plant?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES