SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdrawkcab

Hydroponics for Urban Gardens

sdrawkcab
17 years ago

Hydroponics, or growing plants without the use of soil, can offer great benefits to people growing plants under less-than-ideal circumstances.

For example, if a water source is not readily available, hydroponics re-circulates water so there is no need to lug heavy buckets of water to the plants every day.

if space is a consideration, hydroponics allows much closer placement of plants because they do not need extensive root systems to thrive in this type of culture.

Time Considerations- for people who may not have time to water 1-2 times a day, hydroponics usually employ an electric timer to water plants for you but the liquid is recirculated so you use less water and achieve lower water bills

few if any weeds in hydroponics and less pests as well.

[no soil means no soil-oreanted bugs/disease/weeds]

and best of all- its not as hard as people might think.

I have designed and built very simple hydroponic systems in my college dorm room with less tools/suplies available to me than an average 1 bedroom apartment would have.

i am at work while i post this but when i get home i will try to find some pictures of my hydroponic systems to post here. i would also be glad to offer guidance/ advice/ information to anyone interested in learning more about how hydroponics could increase productivity of their garden.

i know this sounds like a sales pitch but i have nothing to offer but free advice about one of my hobbies/passions.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations