SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

New adventures in urban gardening....

alison
14 years ago

Well, after breaking ground at a dozen apartments since 1984 I've finally got a little plot of my own. Literally, a little plot. Having always told myself I wanted a little house with a lot of land, I went and bought a huge house with a little fringe of space around it.

How small is my garden? Here's the back "yard" -- in two small snaps! (Taken with my back to the fence on the alley, the house is literally 12 feet away from the alley.)

{{gwi:1257184}}

{{gwi:1257185}}

And the front "yard":

{{gwi:285897}}

I have great plans for the front; building a retaining wall and tearing out the grass. (5 feet by 20 feet on a slope is not a "lawn" -- I'm not going to waste time trying to make it one!) But that's for later this summer.

I've pulled all the weeds in the back and am busy turning over the soil in the beds betwween the concrete. One bed is tilled, (and by that I mean I dug it up thyen got down on hands and knees and broke up the soil, picked out the rocks, and uncovered a remarkable number of pork rib bones) amended, and planted with shade-lovers from my last apartment.

I've spent this week trying to turn over a second bed -- which is filled with broken concrete. This morning I dug up a chunk 2 1/2 feet square and about 10 inches thick -- so big I couldn't pick it up, and had to wheel it out of the bed. The upside is I've been using the larger chunks to bolster the fence to the west, and the smaller pieces I'm dumping into a hole being scoured out by a broken downspout, to slow tthe erosion until I can get it replaced.

I've always been a big fan of finding a little bit of land wherever you are, and I'm really excited with my space, small aas it is. I look forward to getting some "after" shots to show you!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH