UPDATE: Incredible Edibles: March Spring Fling Partners

highalttransplant
15 years ago

Here are the partners for this swap:

Bonechickchris/Christy - Ejmoore510/Joan

Scottrell/Sharon - Opie12

Journey149 - Gardenfairy04

Southerncharm/Kathy - Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Please email your partner to exchange addresses, and check out their wishlists. Remember to put the seeds, and goodies in a basket, planter, or bucket. Have fun with this one!

Deadline to send your package: March 6

Please post here when you have sent or received.

Thanks,

Bonnie

Comments (72)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, you want more pictures? Here is the latest picture of my jugs, LOL!

{{gwi:20738}}

Nine of them already have sprouts!

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Just popping in! Ahhh, so nice to see what a normal swap thread looks like! LOL! (wink wink Kathy!)

I really have to get some seedlings in now that the tomato swap is mostly over, except for 2 people I am waiting on seeds for.

I wish I had sprouts to look at! I really have to get my butt in gear! LOL!

Getting my basket(s) ready. How fun it was to add this theme! Imagine if we all were still trading for seeds for critters this month? OMG! YUCK!

Christy

• Related Discussions

NEW: Incredible Edibles Spring Fling Salad Swap

Q

Comments (78)
    Hi everybody! I'm glad you're all happy with your seeds! It's always a lot of fun hosting these things and seeing all the different varieties that people send in, so thanks to all of you for participating! Garden_love, I got your package sent back to my address today. It looks like the label with your address came off, so the envelope had my address on it again (it was under the label). Anyhow, I'll send it back out tomorrow. Happy Gardening! -Julia
    ...See More

UPDATE: Incredible Edibles Feb. Swap Partners for Sunny Side

Q

Comments (49)
    Ok, just got back late last night! I got my swap package from Tracy! This is what I got! I really nice handmade seed bag in sunny yellow and orange colors a finch seed sock which I use all the time candy hearts plant labels, always need these Nothwest wildflowermix Strawberry popcorn exotic melon mix freaky geens mix heirloom paste mix cubanelle pepper roma tomato aunt gerties gold tomato wisconsin 55 gold colorado river beangreasy grits bean honey watermelon golden golden melon indian corn ornage watermelon baby blue hubbard golden hubbard galeaux d eysines squash heriloom bean mix and a really cool hand made gardeners soap! Thanks so much Tracy for being so nice and giving me some great stuff! I cant wait to try them! Now, I sent your package out A WEEK AND A HALF AGO!!!! What is going on with the USPS out there? i never had something take so long to get to someone. I really hope that nothing happened to that box, especially with all the other stuff in it too for the other swaps :( Christy
    ...See More

new: incredible edibles: spring fling swap

Q

Comments (40)
    Glad y'all had a nice weekend, mine was rather busy! DH works swing shift, so we went out to breakfast instead of lunch or dinner. Spent the rest of the afternoon with the boys, and going around delivering goodies to grandmas :-) Sunday night I started some of my tomato seeds :-) Very exciting :-) Lol, I know what you mean about so many great looking edibles! I have a few orders out myself, and have been looking at a couple of other places that I think can get an order to me in a reasonable amount of time....so many places are so backed up this time of year...lol, all of us ordering seeds :-) I am fine with partners being posted sooner.
    ...See More

update: mnf ~ spring fling #2

Q

Comments (82)
    Hi, Sorry for the delay in posting. I've had so much going on over the weekend, plus we lost our internet. We had a mini explosion outside, a powerline blew. The man from the electric company said a squirrel ate the line? I blame the ice/snow storm! We had the heaviest snow of the season! Anyways, I better make this short- I have to make lunches for the kids yet. Laura sent a wonderful box- nothing was broken, everything was packed very well! A cute handpainted pot (with google type glued eyes) and big painted lips, it contained a hindu rope hoya! Plus a very pretty clear vase with handpained flowers (I'm already using it to root some wandering jew starts) Vanilla/reed oil diffuser (smells so good) Journal (to make all my trade notes in- needed a new one so bad) baggy of seeds (have to go through them) mini hummer feeder/shepards hook to hang it on (hummers thank you Laura, LOL) Herbal soap (that smells soooo good) Gardening gloves (always need these) Package of blueberry herbal tea (yum) Country garden mag (after the weekend I had, I'm relaxing and reading this tonight) Thank you so much Laura, for such a fantastic box! I loved everything you sent! I hope I didn't forget anything! Things have to slow down for me soon! This weekend we purchased new 6 panel white doors for EVERY door in the house, plus new closet doors to match! Hopefully my package arrived today! ;) Hugs, Deb
    ...See More
  • southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I just wanted to say Nice Jugs Bonnie! ROFLMBO!!! On a more serious note they look great! All nice, organized and clean. Great job!!! :D Where did you find the big crates? I can only find the smaller ones that hold 4 milk jugs...

Come on ladies, I know more of you have pics to share!!! :)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

CHRISTY! ROFLMBO!!! We must have been posting at the same time. I completely missed that till now! hehehe I am soooo very glad that the theme was changed, this one is way more exciting. :D

I'm still waiting on the orders I made too. I checked with BC and they said one was mailed out yesterday and the other was mailed out on Monday. Not too much longer. It was disappointing to see the mailman fly by our box today. LOL He didn't even stop to give me junk mail... Darn him! :D

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy, my neighbor works in the restaurant business and had a bunch of them just laying around his garage, so I asked him if I could have a few. We get a lot of strong winds here in the spring, so if I don't put the 2L in crates, I end up chasing them around the yard. As a matter of fact, I had to go hunt my garbage can down this morning, LOL. It was in my neighbor's yard.

I scored big at the mailbox yesterday. I received the Birthday Pinata from Bday Swap, and some pepper seeds from a very nice gentleman on the veggie forum : ) I just LOVE to open that mailbox and see a padded bubble envie inside!!!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy, my order came in today, so I packaged up your goodies, and sent that baby on its way.

DC# 0308 0660 0000 3762 1600

Happy tracking!
    Bonnie

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Hello All,
    I have found my way back. I read thru some and see I have missed alot and you look to be having fun, sorry I missed all the fun. I will be joining the next swap for April...I hope too anyway.
    happy gardening and hope to be swapping soon.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad you're back, Frenchfrylegs! I will be posting a sign up thread next week for the IH April - Splended Salads Swap, so keep your eye out for that one.

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Ugh! What is up with this weather! LOL It's wet and cold outside today... I hope this is the last cold front we get like this.

Oooh Bonnie, I'm so excited!!! I can't wait to get it. :) I've gotten most of my seeds in for you, I'll let you know as soon as I mail it out. :)

Polly welcome back! Hope you'll be joining us soon. :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Well, I am suppose to get 8-14 inches of snow tonight! Yippee!
    My husband is a mucisc teacher, so I still get excited when it snows, hoping to have the school day cancelled because of the snow!
    This will be the frist real snowstorm that my 3 year old can actually enjoy!
    Christy

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Christy, I hope you are having a relaxing day with the family! :) Enjoy that snow day!!!

Ok pics as promised, something is wrong with my camera though it's kinda blurry?!?! But you can still see the garden. lol Only have some Pink Surprise Calendula sprouting at the moment. :) Waiting patiently for everything else...

Perilla/Shiso or African Blue Basil (Not sure yet~ lol)
    These are showing up in all the herb pots! Anyone know? I'm leaning toward Perilla... But both plants died in the cold snaps and they both look about the same, I just don't remember seeing them go to seed before the weather went crazy.

Garden

Daughters Cabbage project for school. Whoever has the biggest one gets a prize! :)

Thought I'd share these Pansies cause they are edible too! :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

So very jealous, Kathy! I won't see green grass. flowers or even dirt until May, most likely. It is a whopping 14 degrees in my neck of the woods. The storm the east coast is getting should not go far enough inland to effect me.
    Christy, hope your tiny tot likes the snow!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice vegetable garden, Kathy! Those leaves look like Shiso (Perilla) to me. I grew the red one last year, and the leaves looked just like that. Well, except they were reddish purple, LOL.

It's close to 60 here today! I actually got outside for a little while, and moved a few perennials around. It felt great to play in the dirt.

Bonnie

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Christy, I hope you and your guys have a great snow day!

Kathy, what a great garden! You have plenty of room there. Great work! My daughter brought home a cabbage plant today too! I will be feeding it my best worm poo tea. We will see what happens.

My Mom from New Jersey has been here for three weeks, she decided to stay longer when she found out they are supposed to have about 8 inches of snow. She was told that her car is in a giant snow drift. Mom and DH get along great, but he asked "How long is she going to be here?" I said "I don't know, maybe when the snow melts?"

Bonnie, I am glad you had a nice day, very soon you will be able to play everyday.

Wishing warm thoughts for everyone!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the sweet comments! :) I wanted to put it in the back and then thought of all the other things I would have to buy just to be able to keep it watered back there and I'd rather spend for seeds! ROFL Still trying to figure out the watering... I think I'm still gonna have to spring for a different sprinkler, this one is a pain in the rear!!!

Becky, I'll cross my fingers that you all don't get any of that snow. I'll be wishing warming weather your way! :)

Bonnie, I think your right about it being Shiso... I would love to have to purple one too. :) I did find info saying that the African Blue Basil doesn't set seed, so it would definitely have to be Shiso... Someone on the herb forum suggested it looked like Mint, I only have Chocolate Mint and it doesn't resemble that. hehe Glad you got to play outside too, hope you got lots ready. :)

Sharon, I'm not good with leafy types at all! LOL Maybe it will do better this year than last with it being cooler... Oh, the guy down the street, I haven't figured out what he does so different but he had a 17lb head of Collards the other day! I need to become buddies with him maybe he'll teach me his tricks for this area. lol He's always growing stuff, and it's so beautiful and lush, even when it's scorching hot. I'd also love to just sit in the middle of his garden and take in all the beauty. :D Of course when I think about it, I might lose it if I found someone sitting in the middle of my garden. HAHA! I don't blame your mom for staying longer either, I'd do the same. :D

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Well, I've finally managed to get back to a computer at the library. Whew! I'm really missing out on all these great threads and swaps!
    Guess whose box is going out today????????? Look out Christy, it's headed your way. Hope you like everything!

Take care all,
    Joan

PS - We had 4 inches of snow Sunday, which is wayyyyyyyyyyy
    rare for us here in Mississippi. Made snow cream and it was delicious! :)

• opie12
    15 years ago

ej,
    Didn't realize you were in MS too.....you must be in the northern part. I'm in Hinds Co. we missed out....barely a light frosting was left on my deck Sunday morning. Glad you got some to enjoy though.

Speaking of the weekend weather....it messed up the plans I had for my DH to start tilling....so guess what he gets to do THIS weekend...hehehe.....

Kids have been sick. They are SO tired of sitting in the house....and so am I! We all wanna get back out.

I have some wonderful tomatoes going already :-) A few flowers, peppers, and eggplant too. The toms are actually ready for their "potting up," but I can't leave the kids inside alone to go outside and do it (DH works swing, so he isn't here is afternoons)......so the toms will have to wait until the kids recover a bit more and can come with me outside....

Sharon, thought I had everything ready, then realized that my box wasn't wide enough! I think I have one that will do in my classroom, so hopefully tomorrow I can get it all packed in and out by Thurs :-)

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hello,
    How is everyone doing in the snow? It has warmed up a little here.

I am off to the P.O. with my box for Melissa. I will post the Del Con number later.

Have a great day everyone! - Sharon

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Day, Sharon! We've been in the 50's this week, but the strong winds have arrived, which is common for this time of year here, and there's a chance of snow this weekend. Glad I planted some bulbs, and moved perennials around when I had the chance!

I can't wait to hear about everyone's goodies!

Bonnie

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I have had a bug here and totally missed out on your post Joan! Oooh, I am so excited!!!!
    I have yours just about ready to go. I got the seeds I was waiting for for you yesterday, so if I dont get it out today, It will be out tomorrow(Friday ) for sure! I hope my box to you does not take as long as it seems that your tomato envelope is taking. I will sent your box out priority so I know for sure it wont get held back for any reason, Make sure to tell me when you get that envelope!

Does anyone else have this crazy sickness going around? Just when I think it is over, it comes back in a different way, twice as bad! Yuck!

Well, maybe my package will come form Joan today! That would be awesome! Christy

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hello again!

Christy, I hope you feel better soon, yes there is a bug going around here too. My daughter was sick two weekends in a row, poor thing, she seemed better on monday so she went to school all week and then bam, sick again Friday night. I hope she is OK this weekend.

Bonnie, what kind of bulbs did you plant? I miss planting bulbs. There are not many I can plant in my zone. I love daffs, tulips and dahlias. They won't grow here. Amarilys grows here all year round though, so I am happy about that.

Well on to the important stuff, my box went out for Melissa today! Del Con # 0308 2040 0000 6125 9882.
    I hope it finds you soon!

Have a great night! - Sharon

• opie12
    15 years ago

I sent my box to Sharon today!

DC# 0308 0730 0000 2547 8603

Hope everyone who is ill is feeling better....my boys are getting back the their normal selves now. On the other hand, my doc just called with some blood test results.....

Anyway, hope you get your box soon. I don't know how long it should take to get there from here.

I love bulbs! I have been known to dig them up from country roadsides and relocate them to my yard.....and I got a bunch of them from my great grandmothers old home site.

• opie12
    15 years ago

Alright, was looking through some pics to print and found these from last year's garden and they got me thinking about spring, so I wanted to share the cheer!

Ok, someone help me out....some of these are still kinda big....I resized them all to the same size in photobucket....what did I do wrong??

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melissa, thanks for sharing your pictures, and I hope you are doing okay! I had a nasty cold over the weekend, and my daughter had some stomach thing for the past week, but we're both doing much better now. Just hoping the boys don't come down with any of it. You know how those things make the rounds in a family.

I don't think the pictures are too big at all, I was actually wishing they were even bigger, LOL. But then again, I don't even bother to resize my pictures, which I know is irritating for anyone on dial-up. See how gynormous my picture is above, LOL? Sometimes I'll post clickable thumbprints, when I can remember to do that.

Sharon, I was just planting some Lilies (Red Dutch and Commander in Chief) that I picked up at Walmart. The first year I was here, I planted Tulips, and then I found out how much the deer love them, so then I tried daffodils. They actually took a bite of one of them the other day, and spit it back out, so maybe they'll leave them alone now. I'm wintersowing some Cannas and Dahlias from seed this year, but I'm not sure if I want to fool with storing the tubers or not. Depends on if they germinate, and bloom for me or not. If they're gorgeous, and I fall in love with them, I'm sure I'll try to save them for next year.

The deadline for shipping packages is supposed to be the 6th, but I think everyone that's still with us, has either sent, or is pretty close to sending, so it looks like we're right on schedule : )

Bonnie

• opie12
    15 years ago

I see that the pics don't look too big in the post......when I looked at the preview of it last night they looked HUGE....even the one of the youngest smelling the flowers, and I see that ones posted kind of tiny. So, I guess I did resize them right.....will just have to remember that next time :-)

Hope everyone else misses that stomach flu....of all the bugs to have that one is really nasty....especially when mom has it, but has to tend to everyone else with it! I work with a lady who had it for about 3 weeks straight because they all kept giving it back to each other.....

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Joan, your package is on its way!!!!

I got my "basket" from JOan! What a great loot! I dont know where to start! (I hope I dont forget anything!)

An Easter Kitchen Towel
    Baskin Robins Hard Candies, Cadbury Bar, Belgian chocolate
    GArden Markers and Stickers and peat pots
    A garden journal and windchimes
    A finch statue and some grape lotion

for planting I got

Sweet Onion bulbs
    Wonder Egg
    Scarlet Radish
    HUngarian Hot grand bell and Sweet Banana peppers
    Jellybean,Big RAsperry,white wonder Tomato
    Sugar Baby Watermelon
    Hearts of Gold cantaloupe
    Grey ZUchinni and Black Beauty Eggplant
    Yellow Wax beans
    Ruby beet and Northern chard
    Wildflower mix
    Candy cane Zinnia Mix
    Lemon Queen Sunflower
    Pearly Gates Morning Glory
    Yellow Hollyhock

Thank you so much for all the great stuff! This was such an awesome and fun swap to do! I felt like a little kid at Easter time! I hope you enjoy what I got for you Joan!

Thanks again for a great basket! Christy

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I received my package today from Bonnie! Wow! Such cool stuff!!! (I hope I didn't miss anything, I had kids hovering and digging while I was trying to get into it myself! LOL)

Instead of a basket or planter she got me the CUTEST watering can!!! It looks like a tea kettle with EDIBLE GRASS inside! AWESOME!!! :D

For goodies:
    Easter Cookie cutters (can't wait to make some cookies!)
    Coconut Lime candle (smells so yummy!)
    Huge bag of Green M&M's!
    Huge bag of Gourmet Jelly Beans
    Egg Plants, so cool I've never seen these before either. lol
    (Snap Dragon, Marigold and Pansy) For the kids! SO SWEET!
    Purple and Green flower magnetic notepad with magnets.
    LOTS OF PEANUT BUTTER EGGS! LOL YUM! My favorite!!!

For seeds:
    Italian Green Heart Sunflower
    Lincoln Garden Pea
    Greasy Grits
    Lungo Bianco Zucchini
    Zucchino Rampicante
    Broadleaf Sage
    Alma Paprika Pepper
    Box Car Willie Tomato
    Golden Hubbard Squash
    Triomphe De Farcy Bean

I think all of these seeds were on my wishlist! LOL Thank you so very very much Bonnie!!! :) I feel like a little kid! Can't wait to get these planted. :D

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I'm enjoying reading about what people received. Kudos on the great swaps!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your welcome, Kathy! Glad you enjoyed it. I know I bent the theme a bit on the container : )

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

It was awesome and a container! LOL You're so creative! I love it.

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hi!

I recived my basket from Melissa yesterday. What a lovely surprise, it came so quick!

Iside my basket nestled neatly inside:
    pencils and sharpie (always need these)
    garden gloves
    seeds! lots of seeds!
    jelly bean tomatoes (tee hee, I sent her the same pack!)
    Rose bianca eggplant
    dragon's egg cucumber
    Emerald okra (get it? St. Pat's)
    Bright lights swiss chard
    Black Beauty eggplant
    squash
    Basil
    California wonder pepper
    green beans
    Chives
    Parsley
    and for the flower lover in me:
    Heavenly blue morning glory
    Magic fountain delphinium
    Blue boy bachelor buttons
    Forget-me-nots
    And a beautiful blue ceramic jar with palm trees filled with candy!

Yay! I love everthing! It was very evident that you packed everything with such care and fulfilled my wants. How thoughtful of you.

See, I told you'awl she was a sweetie! Thank you so much!
    Sharon

(Maybe one of you real Southerners can tell me how to spell You all, LOL!)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon! She DOES sound like a sweetie!

Oh, and where I grew up in Tennessee, it was ya'll : )

Bonnie

• opie12
    15 years ago

Glad you like the things I picked out for you :-) It really did get there quickly!

Oh, I've always spelled it y'all.....that is after my mom corrected my first (horrible) attempts at spelling it.....her reasoning behind that spelling was that it is a 'contraction' for you all.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Bonnie watch for the mailman! :) my dorkus hubby forgot to put the Delivery Confirmation sticker on the package but paid for it! ROFLMBO!!! It should be there within the next 3-5 days, he sent it Priority. :) Can't wait to hear that you got it.

Oh and I spell it Ya'll too! hehehe

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Aren't these some great packages we're all getting?
    Christy, I'm soooo glad you liked everything. I really had fun putting it all together for you. :)
    Melissa, I'm in Tishomingo County. Right up in the northeast corner of MS.
    Yes all, the flu and a stomach bug have been going around here too.
    Hope everyone enjoys their seeds and the sick gardeners get to feeling better!

Joan

• opie12
    15 years ago

Well, I called my DH on the way home from work today and he told me that i "got some box thing." :-) (he just doesn't understand!...LOL) So, I came home to find my box from Sharon on the table! She had everything in such a cute Easter basket, with some spider man eggs for the boys (who have been playing with them for about the last 15 minutes btw!)
    I also got:
    Cadbury mini eggs (ok, who told you these were my all time favorite Easter candy!)
    Whooper robin eggs (these are my #2 Easter candy!) (of course, the children insist that I share with them too..LOL)
    A shamrock cookie cutter
    A magnetic lizard note clip
    A wind chime
    ......and......SEEDS!!!!
    Jelly Bean Tomatoes
    Waltham Broccoli
    Jubilee Watermelon
    Purple Hull Peas
    Lettuce
    Romaine Lettuce
    Yellow Cherry Tomato
    Pigeon Pea
    Butterfly Pea Vine
    Purple Passion Fruit
    Dature Lilc lefleur
    Blackberry Lily
    Aster
    Nasturtium

And there were some peat pellets so that I can start some of my wonderful seeds!

I love it all! The gifts and seeds are wonderful! It was so thoughtful to put a little something in there for the boys as well :-)

Thanks you SO MUCH Sharon!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Melissa, what a nice haul! I wintersowed Blackberry Lily last year, and hope to see it bloom this summer.

I spent the afternoon sowing my peppers. NO WAY do I have room for all of the ones I planted, but I just couldn't narrow it down anymore. Here is what I planted:

Alma Paprika - makes a GREAT paprika powder
    Boldog Hungarian Spice - also a pepper used for paprika
    Buran - a red bell type
    Chocolate
    Corno di Toro Giallo
    Corno di Toro Rosso
    Healthy
    Mini Belle Mix
    Pizza
    Purple Beauty
    Quadrato Asti Giallo
    Quadrato Rosso D'Asti
    Revolution
    Senorita
    Tequila Sunrise

Did I mention that my garden is only 60 sq.ft., LOL? It looks like I may be growing some of them in pots on the porch.

What's everyone else planted so far?

Bonnie

• opie12
    15 years ago

You have such a great selection of peppers planted! You have some that I have never heard of, but they all sound really interesting!

What have I planted.....well, this will take a long time to list (LOL), but here goes......
    Tomatoes:
    Silvery Fir Tree
    Japanese Black Trifel
    hazel Gold
    Blandkopfchen
    Big Orange
    Coyote
    Snow White
    Schimmeig Striped Hollow
    Black Sea Man
    Carolina Gold
    NAR
    Opalka
    Black from Tula
    Carbon
    Basinga
    White Wonder
    Soldacki
    Hillbilly
    Black Krim
    Cherokee Purple
    Nyagous
    Brnadywine
    Jubilee
    Large Red Cherry
    Super Sweet 100
    Jelly Bean
    Bursztyn
    Yellow Stuffer
    Black Cherry
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Green Zebra
    Georgia Stream
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian
    Sheyenne
    Brownberry

Hum.....there were some others as well, but I forgot to write their names on my chart and its dark now, so I'm not gonna walk out to my greenhouse (pop up one) and look :-) Actually did some potting up on these recently, but ran out of the cup I was using to pot up in, so I need to get more of those and finish!

There are pepper too....let me see if I can remember them....
    Jalapeno
    Wisconsin Lakes
    Cubanella
    Minature Yellow Bell
    California Wonder
    Pablano
    ....seems like there are more of these too....don't even have a chart for them yet, need to get that done! I actually think I want some more peppers, so I am going to go back through my box and see what I have that I haven't planted yet.

....and eggplants.....
    cloud nine
    turkish orange
    rose bianca
    thai round green (think that was the name....)

and some blue jade corn (in containers)

Ok, so I already have WAY too much, and this isn't even counting what I will be direct sowing in a few weeks, like my melons, cukes, and beans/peas.....DH did move my garden area and make it about double what it was though....and I think I am going to go on and make him till up the old space and use it for melons........

A question: Do some of you grow lettuce and broccoli? I have never grown it before and have no idea if I should start it indoors or direct sow?? Which is best? Is it hard to transplant if started indoors?

Oh, here's a pic of my tomato seedlings...aren't they so cute :-)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooooh, nice tomato babies! That is quite a list of tomatoes you've got there. Mine is a bit shorter, and mine were wintersown (outdoors in recycled plastic containers), along with all of my lettuces, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, chard, beets, peas, and herbs. I do all of my cool season veggies using the wintersowing method. The only reason I do the peppers indoors, is because our season is short, and I wouldn't get a ripe one before the first frost, and even with the tomatoes, it was August before I got my first ripe one.

Here's my 'mater list:
    Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Bloody Butcher
    Brown Berry
    Earl's Faux
    Galina's Yellow Cherry
    Indian Stripe
    Kelloggs Breakfast
    Isis Candy
    Paul Robeson
    Persimmon
    Skorospelka
    Rainy's Maltese

I'm just hoping I can find room for all of them. I did plant extras of a few of them to give away, but hope I can keep at least one of each kind.

I'm including a link to the Wintersown.org website, just in case you want to learn more about it.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersown.org

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Bump :)

I hope Joan has received my package!

Just bumping back to the first page!
    Christy

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, Kathy, this time your package arrived MUCH FASTER! I have to say I was mislead by the weight of the box, thinking, there couldn't be much in there, LOL!!! Of course, the kids were trying to claim everything I pulled out of there.

So here's what was in my Easter basket:

Easter window decoration - yep, they took that one
    Easter egg candles - yeah, that one too, LOL
    Shamrock ornament - uh, huh, you guessed it
    Garden gloves - I had to draw the line there, too big for them anyway
    Floral blank notes cards
    Sharpie permanent marker - perfect for labeling my wintersowing containers!
    Garden windchimes - The kids are still trying to talk me out of these!

Before I list the seeds, I just want to say how much I appreciate you taking the time to type of all of the information on everything you sent, Kathy. That is so helpful!

Lime Basil
    Dark Opal Basil
    German Chamomile
    Victoria Rhubarb - I can't wait to try this one!
    Purple Tomatillo - won't that make the coolest looking salsa?
    Tomatillo - org
    Jimmy Nardello Italian Sweet Pepper - Yeah, can't wait to grow this one!
    Yellow Star Hot Pepper - B.C. sent me the same one with your order, LOL
    Radish 'Violet De Gourney'
    Rapini - okay I'm going to have to look this one up, can't believe you found a veggie that I'm not familiar with : )
    Thai Yellow Egg Eggplant
    Strawberry Spinach - also new to me
    Tomatoes - Egg, Early Girl, Mountain Princess (I have 80 different kinds of tomatoes, and you sent me three I didn't have, Yippee!)
    Muskmelon, Little Sweetie
    Sunflower, Dwarf Sunspot - Think I'll let the kids plant this one
    Kabloona Calendula - sounds very pretty
    Thai Red Roselle - sounds beautiful, going to have to look this one up too!

What a awesome variety of seeds!!! Kathy, thank you so much for everything you picked out for me. I love it ALL!!!

Bonnie

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Wow, very nice box Bonnie, what unusual veggies!

Melissa, I am glad that you liked your box. To answer your question, (I grow a lot of brocoli and lettuce) You can start the brocoli in containers, they transplant very well. Lettuce can also be started in containers, but I usually direct sow it.
    gotta run now more later!

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Bump:)

I hope you got my package Joan! It should have been there by now I hope! Christy

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was so excited about the seeds that I received, that I wintersowed the Rhubarb, Thai Red Roselle, and Purple Tomatillo today.

Christy, hopefully Joan will check in soon.

Off to make lasagna,
    Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Awww Bonnie! I'm so glad that you liked everything. Christy taught me that trick with the info. :) It comes in handy when it's time to decide what to plant. I can't believe I sent you tomatoes you didn't have! Talk about luck! :) I had sooo much fun with this swap. I love the holidays, especially when I'm able to share to make someone else happy. I hope you'll share pics of those babies when they start to sprout. I'm still waiting on the Thai Red Roselle to sprout, I'm thinking in the next few days or so I'll see them start to poke up above the soil. That was my favorite out of everything I picked. I couldn't believe how many different uses there were for it. I'll definitely have to buy more to share in the double purpose swap that is coming up soon. :) Everyone needs some Thai Red Roselle. lol

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

No package yet but I'm loving the Anticipation!

Joan

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

What?????

I sent that out a week and a half ago!!!!
    That worries me. It figures my husband did not get confirmation, I had the flu and had him send it out, and he always forgets to get confirmation!

Still, your box should have been there!I dont know what is up with the mail. I know TRacys box took almost 2 weeks to get to her on the last swap.

PLease keep me posted!!!!!

So sorry you did not get it back, I was wondering why I didnt hear back,,,,
    Christy

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got my package yesterday and Christy, you really outdid yourself! It was definitely worth the wait! First of all, let me say that it was all wrapped in yellow tissue and little Easter container's inside a wonderful planter that was layered in Easter grass and just stuffed full! And here were the contents:
    A zip lock bag full of fresh bay leaves! (My DH says thanks for the wonderful stew flavoring.)
    Garden gloves decorated with tomatoes - so cute!
    A big Lindt Intense Mint Chocolate bar - yum
    a garden journal decorated with flowers & butterflies - always needed
    4 easter pencils
    a green St. Paddy's mug
    a Lobelia grow kit inside the cutest green terracotta pot!
    a big marshmallow candy Easter sucker
    a large plastic carrot full of fruit flavored bubble gum
    a smaller plastic carrot with a pack of Easter egg radish seeds inside
    an Easter baggie full of tomato seeds! - Golden Jubilee, Pale perfect purple, and Amana orange
    4 Big plastic Easter eggs with seeds in them -
    Spring Broccoli Rabe
    Pink Banana bush winter squash
    Contender Garden Beans
    Jelly Bean Tomatoes
    & yet another sparkly tissue package of seeds -
    Shamrock triamble squash
    Rainbow's End Heirloom tomato
    Hearts of gold cantaloupes
    Lucky Leprechaun Tomato
    Green Doctor's Tomato - Just released a month ago by Victory seeds
    Anddddddddddd yet another Easter baggie with seeds for:
    Fruit smoothie mix zinnia
    Giant Cactus Mixed zinnia

Thanks sooooooooooooo much for everything Christy! I absolutely LOVE IT ALL! You really did a wonderful job! A lot of these seeds are items I've never even HEARD of!
    It was definitely a WOW package!

Joan

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome package, Joan!!! I think everyone did a great job on this swap, and I hope that you guys enjoyed it as much as I did.

... and that brings this swap to a close. Thanks for letting me host.

Bonnie

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I am so happy that you like everything Joan! I was so worried with how long it took to get there! I don't know what is up with the mail lately! It really got sent almost 2 weeks ago!

I hope you enjoy everything! I really had fun putting the "basket-planter" together!
    Christy