SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin282

has ANYONE saved seeds from Cobaea (cup 'n' saucer vine)?

Robin282
18 years ago

Hello to all,

Thanks for the responses to my first question on Cobaea. Now, I am wondering if ANYONE has been able to collect seeds from their vine. I started VERY early (mid-late winter) in the house in a directly South facing window with the help of lights.

The vines grew vigorously all summer. Then, when I was wondering if it ever would flower, I got the first signs. It has been flowering ever since. Now--2 months later--it has more flowers than ever, and it is November and I live in (SE) Massachusetts!

I have been looking over every spent flower, and have been very careful not to remove what's left. Once the flower has fallen off, there is no continued growth on what's left. It just sits there. One of the first ones is a little shriveled--but not much, and the rest of it is green. However, no fruit production on anything whatsoever.

I figure, maybe it is a hybrid and is sterile. However, I have looked around, and it seems there is only this purple, and a white exists, and that's it. It is not that I am desperate for seeds, I can get them. It is the challenge of bringing the vine through its entire life cycle before it dies. My morning glories look limp and browning, and this thing looks as good as it did in July!

Well, if anyone can share their experience with some details, I'd love the info. Also if anyone has collected, would you mind telling me all about it?

Thanks!

Robin

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions