SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

A different take on shady foundations beds

linrose
17 years ago

I have a dilemma - I have shade in front of an architecturally formal brick house, but in a rural area surrounded by fields and woods. We are lucky to have mature red oaks and dogwoods near the house - some would say TOO near - but I love them. Saturday was a glorious day in the 50s so my DH and I went out with pure wanton abandon and ripped out ALL the foundation plants around the front of the house. Those dark and gloomy yews and diseased Japanese and China hollies are history!!! We've been here for three seasons now and it is time for serious action!

Since I'm from the North Country and am now in the Upper South, I've had to learn ALOT about what to grow here. We seem to be on the cusp of zones - 6b to 7a seems to be a cut off for certain species. Technically we are in 6b but I think we have microclimates of 7a or even 7b. I'm growing teas and noisette roses with success so they are my indicator plants.

So, on to some ideas for shrub choices. I have a short list of plants that will do OK in part to full shade. Some are more tolerant of shade than others - any of you with experience with them will be welcome advice.

Abelia x 'Edward Goucher'

Calycanthus floridus

Clethra alnifolia

Cornus alba 'Ivory Halo'

Daphne x burkwoodii 'Carol Mackie'

Itea virginica

Loropetalum chinense 'Burgundy'

Mahonia aquifolium 'Compactum'

Osmanthus heterophyllus 'Goshiki'

Prunus laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken'

Sarcococca hookerana

Vibrnum utile 'Eskimo'

I will mix in some perennials and bulbs too but I want to have "bones" first. Here are some photos of the area I am talking about. There are two mature Japanese Maples that will stay (of course) but the remaining yews and dwarf Japanese hollies are on probation for the time being.

{{gwi:8330}}

Mature red oaks shade this area

{{gwi:8332}}

Another view

{{gwi:8333}}

To the left of the front door gets more sun.

I'd like an open and airy look, with deciduous plants mixed with evergreens. There are six azaleas there that I want to stay - three Glaciers and three Renee Michelles. They seem to do very well under the filtered light of the high canopy of the oaks. The bed with the oaks contains only herbaceous plants - hostas, bleeding hearts, brunnera, astilbes, heuchera and the like. It lies between the foundation bed and the driveway. Another note, on the left of the door I'd like to expand the bed out to the driveway to incorporate a dogwood that is already there (not in photo) so I'll have lots of room to add plants, probably mostly perennials and bulbs.

Any ideas???

Comments (25)

Sponsored