SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jderosa_gw

Growing Sanseveira big

jderosa
18 years ago

I've been using a strategy for a number of years now that has helped me grow large, mature sansevieria - and it is dependable.

Most people seem to believe that each sansevieria growth is a plant - but not me. I believe that these growths are just one part of the plant. I believe that the rhizomes connect all of the growths of a single plant together. This means that each plant has multiple growths, and that seperating off each new growth once it matures enough to grow on its own prevents the plant from ever building up enough resources to reach its full potential.

I've not divided most of my larger growing sansevieria for the past 5 years. Before that, I would divide every year or two. When I was dividing frequently, I would definitly get more pups, but these pups never really got to be large plants, and most of my plants never flowered.

Now that I leave the growths connected, most of my plants have flowered, and the new growths get much bigger than in the past.

I grow my plants in chilly New Jersey, and I have been able to get some phenominal size on some plants. It does take som epatience, as it takes time for the plants to get enough critical mass to really grow great, but I have found it to be worthwhile. My S. singularis took almost 8 years before it grew its first mature leaf -and this is still too small to flower. Right now, it has three mature growths from this year (last year was still juvinile form), and these leaves are over 2' tall. I expect in another 3 or 4 years to have 6' tall growths - I can hardly wait!

Joe 'live and learn, and then share the info' DeRosa

Comments (11)