SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentongue

Hummingbirds as cross-pollinators - vigna

greentongue
16 years ago

I am trying to grow a seed crop of 2 varieties of Yardlong beans (Vigna unguiculata cultigroup Sesquipedalis)....one of them apparently rare in this country. I planted them on adjacent trellises because the uncommon one was considered day-length sensitive and not expected to bloom until September.

For some reason... perhaps our long drought?... perhaps an unsuspected crossing in previous generation?... the variety expected to be day-length sensitive is blooming... and only 10 days later than the more common variety.

HUMMINGBIRDS ARE VISITING THE PLANTS. Suzanne Ashworth in SEED TO SEED lists bumblebees as possible cross-pollinators, but she does not mention hummingbirds.

Internet search has turned up sites that list hummingbirds as visitors to Vigna species beans... and another that lists hummingbirds as probable co-evolved pollinators to another beans species.

Comments on hummingbirds as cross-pollinators would be much appreciated.... as I ruefully ponder bagging blossoms in 96 degree heat among the predatory -- and aggressive!!-- paper honeycomb nesting red wasps I have allowd to nest in the crossbars of my trellis system.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions