SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloeasha

Curcurbit saving distances

chloeasha
16 years ago

Hi guys! I don't think I've ever stopped by this forum in the 10? 9? Years I have been on GW! Wow!

My husband and I were wanting to take some seeds with us back home with him (foriegn country, don't worry, this is not a legal issue with seed transport). We were hoping to take back a few things-- pumpkin (2-3 varieties), summer squash (1-2 varieties), zucchini (1 variety), and melon (1-2). This is fine and all.. but we all know curcurbits cross polinate like crazy. We're going to bring open polinated varieties of course. The basic set-up is we could grow at his house-- maybe one variety in the backyard (about an acre-- maybe stuff it against the far wall) and one in the front yard (about the same distance). Then he has a 5.5 acre field about 2 miles away. No matter how I space these, it's going to be tough and probably too close.. but I was hoping someone had an idea as to minimum distance of spacing for seed saving. I figured worse comes to worse and I have to cover and hand polinate some blossoms and mark the fruit for saving. Mailing seeds is not practical as they never make it--it's like italy's postal system-- you pretty much lose everything you send unless you put up enough bribery.

We were also going to bring tomatoes as well if anyone knows about that distance.

The surrounding fields are not an issue, this is the "grain" section of village fields where they alternate between wheat, chickpeas, and lentils.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions