SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Some distance shots... for Michelle

chelone
17 years ago

OK, kiddo, here you go.

You are on the south side of our home and you are looking northeast. This what we call the "terrace" and it's the most protected site on the property (nearly 3 acres).

{{gwi:159929}}

This shows the "bowling alley" aspect of the terrace. the slider to the left was Mum's room. :( I'm very troubled that she is no longer able to enjoy this pleasant site.

{{gwi:159930}}

If you turned 180 degrees from the shot above and looked to your right this is what you'd see. You are now looking northwest. This is my very first gaHden. I used the native Osmunda claytonianas as the backbone.

{{gwi:159931}}

You are now looking most west, with a slight northerly tweak. This garden replaced a weedy red maple once we saved the money to have the stump ground down. We dug the rest of it out ourselves... I did most of it, the spring after my father died and I learned of a friend's suicide. Hard, physical labor was the only way I was able to sleep and those months were to change my outlook on life forever.

{{gwi:159932}}

You are now looking southeast. The unfurling fronds before you are my most treasured plants. Of all things here, I value the ferns most of all. This is my "first" gaHden, Michelle. I thought the Osmunda claytoniana ferns were spectacular the moment I saw them. To me, they are the

"backbone" of this area. I'm not bothered in least that they die back and the area is left "flat" in the winter. In fact, I rather like that aspect... to watch these majestic, hardy plants emerge and take over is a "show" in and of itself. It's magic!

{{gwi:159933}}

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting