SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenhits

update: wow where did you get that? round robin

GardenHits
19 years ago

The bird flew on friday. and landed on its first stop saturday.

Please post here hte required info when you get it and when you send it.

Thanks for joining one of the most unique round robins to date.

Comments (72)

• skohler
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

well girl's we do not have a fedex station here in our
    town so I have 3 other choice's usps prioity /conf -
    ups /conf or drop out now for I cannot afford no $20-
    $30. for postage agin this month or next .
    if it is ok with you all for me to use one of my options
    I would love to stay & play .

sue

• abcgirltx
    19 years ago

Jill,

I love your display of all those suns, very nice!

• Related Discussions

NEW: oh wow, where did you get that? garden round robin

Q

Comments (31)
    GardenHits-- I just sent my info to you again via this forum's e-mail link. Sometimes this CRANKY, old computer of mine (born 1999) doesn't send out my messages...instead, they just sit in my outbox and I often don't think to check and make sure they went out. Hopefully, you'll receive it this time. Would you please acknowledge either way whether or not you received my message, and if necessary, I'll send you a postcard with the info via snail mail. Best to all, tlr
    ...See More

UPDATE: now cut that out round robin swap #3

Q

Comments (150)
    Catching up with everyone here. If anyone has any Iris left would they throw a bulb or two my way please. For seeds I have: dirtdiggin offering hollyhocks a mix and sassybutterfly offering hollyhocks,jackmanii,datura and brugs,and red honeysuckle. Thank-you both very much Also looking for ornamental grasses and japanese morning glory's. These are the seeds offered too: Mark:cotton tree and loofah gardenmom:loofah dan: loofah plant-one-on-me:loofah sassybutterfly:yellow pea vine lots of loofah seed left. greenthumbgrow have you down for the cherry jubilee cuttings Dan.....I pick my loofah's when they are still green on the vine ,but the stem has turned brown. I peel them when they are green as well, much easier. I give them the squeeze test .....if they give some and you can hear the fibers in the skin breaking then I peel them by pulling off the end first, then running my thump up under the skin. I make a tear all the way to the stem end and then peel it off in one big piece, running my thump under the skin to loosen it as I go if needed. If it does'nt give easily then it's too soon.Give them another day or two. Don't lay them on their sides either,as the moisture can cause them to start rotting.Lean them up on their ends. Once peeled I then lay it in the greenhouse and let it dry, I sometimes have to turn it over the next day, depends on how hot it gets as my gh is not regulated temp wise. Once completely dried, I shake the seeds out into a bag. I find by doing it this way I end up with a very nice white sponge. Letting it dry out and turning brown before peeling makes for hard peeling and a darker sponge that has to be bleached. You can then cut them and use as you wish. I cut out the center membrane(grind that up)and use both in soaps all the time. That's just one of the many uses I get out of them. Not to mention the number of people that stop by wanting to know what those things are growing on the fence......real conversation starter! One other interesting thing about the plant. They have a male and female flower(yellow). Male flowers show up first, followed by the female, both look identical, but the female bears the fruit. I will leave it up to your imagination as to what that looks like. Ants also love the plant and may act as pollinators, so don't be alarmed by what appears to be a take over by ants. Thats my lesson on loofahs.....hope all that helped. Night everyone Regina
    ...See More

UPDATE: Winter blues round robin

Q

Comments (72)
    Well The robin landed back home!!!! OH MY GOSH I DONT BELIEVE HOW BIG THIS THANG GOT!!! YOu guys the gifts are wonderful I loved each one of them!! IN one there was chocholate and needless to say it is gone I also recieved a realy nice tera cotta sun plaque that I will hang out side on the house today.a package of plant lables the metal kind , a very very cute angel windchime, a spring time wind sock,three candles,wallpaper border , miracle grow plant food ,a tea towel, gosh the list goes on and on . What a blast I had opening this bird! I read the journal and loved it! Most of you are about tha same age as me ,wich I thought was pretty kool. Amanda thanks for the pic ,what a nice looking family! You look alot like my lil sis.8 years younger and 5 inches taller than me. (I am only 5' tall). Went thru the seeds and took out what I would like to grow and I have posted to give the rest to two newbies. I could never use all those seeds!! Thank you Each and every one for joining in this robin and making it so much fun!! Kelley
    ...See More

UPDATE: now cut that out round robin swap #7

Q

Comments (150)
    Angela, that is what I did. The prob. with it is I zip tied my tiny little lights on and have to prop up my flats until the plants are big enough. It is a huge pain. There is also really only room for 1 flat per shelf. I figured it out according to Lowes $ for lumber and the cheapest shop lights they show online and I think you could build one for around 75-80. In my opinion, by the time you purchase the shelving unit and a couple lights, you might as well do this. I think you will have much more room and it will work better as far as moving the lights up and down. Just my opinion, though. If you already have a shelving unit, it might make more sense to do that until later, but the lumber is only going to cost around 20 bucks right now, at least in my area. OSB is $6 and 2x4 or 1.77 here. I am not sure you can buy a shelving unit, even cheap plastic for that. I just need an upgrade or more room or something.
    ...See More
  • diene
    19 years ago

I am very excited about my turn which is coming closer. I hate to appear flaky but can someone go over the rules again. I have plenty of stuff to add to the box, I understand the FedEx plan but is there a limit as to how many or what can go in the box? Thanks.

• GardenHits
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I HAVE FILLED OUT THE FEDEX FORMS FOR EACH OF YOU. THE LABEL IS ACTUALLY PART OF THE FORM. KATHLEEN WILL NOW NOT be shipping to sue kohler, but the next person on line. She has been emailed about it.

FOR THOSE USING THE US MAIL
    YOU CAN USE THE MAILING LABEL THAT ARE PART OF THE FEDEX FORM.

The RR will take off with a bunch of seeds and 5 Garden Decor Items. The package is in a large box with plenty of extra packing paterials. Please make use of them when shipping your item.
    1. When you receive the package please post that it has landed.
    2. Then you may take out one or two garden decor items but you must replace them with and equal amount of items. Also try to replace items with something of equal or greater value, so that those at the end have as good of a selection.
    3. You may also remove as many seed packets as you would like, but you must replace them with an equal number of seed packets - Never more the 2 duplicates please.

4. Then you will ship the item FEDEX GROUND (insurance is free up to $100 so make sure to note the package is worth $99). If you decide you want to ship it by US Mail, It must be Shipped PRIORITY with confirmation delivery. NOTE: FEDEX IS DEFINITELY CHEAPER.
    PLEASE DO NOT RE-PACK THE ITEM IN A SMALLER BOX, AS OTHERS MAY HAVE LARGER ITEMS TO SHIP AND NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR NEW BOX.
    If your item does not fit in the box, of course you will have to find a larger box, but I doubt this will happen..

5. After shipping the item. Please post that the item has shipped,
    A. which shipping service you used and
    B. the tracking or delivery confirmation number.
    C. Please also note how may decor items were in the box when you shipped it.

6. If you are especially pleased with the decor items you chose, it would be nice to know what it was, so that the person putting it in the box will know it was appreciated.

I hope you all will enjoy participating in the swap. I have tried to arrange the shipping order by location to keep costs down as much as possible.

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

The P.O. must not think the robin has as much Priority as I do. I figured if it was shipped on Wed. that it would be here on Fri. It didn't even get here in Saturday's mail. Wah! I was sort of hoping that if it came by today that I could get together w/Treesa somewhere over the weekend to give her some other stuff, besides the robin. Sooo...that means that it's going to take at least from Wed. - Tues to get here - SIX days for Priority. The last box I sent to IN took 5. It is NOT that far away. Since they say 1-2 days for Priority, I'll bet they think that it's okay to dawdle on this route because they don't expect people in IN & SC to be able to count past 2. ;-] Oh, well, fuss session is over. Just wanted to let you know that it didn't get here, yet. Rewards, you sure got that Robin taking off from your place in a hurry! Great Job!

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

No wonder it took so long getting here. This box is so fat it must have had to take a lot of rest breaks on it's way here from IN. Must have been so heavy that it even slowed down the truck. My mail usually arrives between 11 and 1, but ran really late today. The size of the box is overwhelming. My poor mail delivery lady! She's been having back problems & now I wonder if she's going to speak to me.

We haven't even been able to sit and look through it all, yet. But it's gotta get out the door fast because it's sitting right in the middle of the kitchen floor and everyone has to make a big detour around it to do anything.

I'll let you know what we choose after the kids all give their input. I'm a little too sleepy to think straight right now.

• TREESA207
    19 years ago

Hey Mud-Mom....Whatcha doin with that box? DO I have to come up there and get it?
    Treesa207

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

any idea what's going on with this one? is it still with mud mom?

• MudPlayingFamilysMom
    19 years ago

That's almost what I was hoping for, Treesa. LOL What I really, really, really wanted to do with the box was to make arrangements to meet you somewhere and just hand it over along with some other stuff. Things got so crazily busy around here that that was not to be. I was able to log online for a grand total of 8 minutes this weekend. I'm now trying to overcome a severe case of withdrawal from even that short time.

Some of you may know that dh works several hundred miles away and only gets home weekends here and there. Well, he surprised me by showing up early Fri. & announcing that he'd be here until Monday. Now that is very nice. I DO love to see him; really, I do! But when he is home, life here is totally different. I can't take off by myself anywhere. In the interest of my marriage, it was better that he did not see me lugging that 22x22x10 box to the P.O. Dh tolerates our gardening, but sort of considers frivolous any expenditures that don't involve his lawnmower. Of course, actual plants tend to get in the way of said lawnmower. ;o) He left for his business trip yesterday and last night I was finally able to sprawl out on the kitchen floor and go through the seed bag.

What a nice assortment of seeds it was, too! The seeds I removed were almost entirely packaged for 2001. I'll just take a chance and see if any sprout. I replaced those with types that weren't already in there, all freshly collected for this year. I spent last night and today going through three robins, one at a time. It must be a migration or something because I signed on for these at different times.

Cheryl, your wind ribbons are adorable. It was nice to see them in person! I also now know exactly what a "bubble bloomer" is. That is a very interesting idea! They did tempt me, but are so cute that I'm afraid they're just the type of thing that my grandson would wind up popping into his mouth to check out when he starts getting around in a few months. Prying open a baby mouth w/one hand and scooping out crushed glass w/the other is one experience that I don't want to repeat. I'm hoping someone else can enjoy them w/o the worry that I would have. All of the items in there were very cute. I didn't exchange any decor items, though, even though I'd gone shopping specifically so that I'd be ready. I must have misunderstood the type of robin. Those items were in a different price range, though; so, I decided that I'd do something different for once and give myself some nice gifts. I'm ROTTEN. LOL Should have chosen things that I didn't like so much. It would have been easier to part w/them! Ya'll probably would have thought they were silly, anyway. I'm now the proud new owner of a fancy new cast iron cowbell, complete with long decorative fastener and topped by, what else, a painted cast iron cow! LOL Also a freestanding short bench backed by a fence type design with painted tin butterflies and flowers decorations. The bench has holes along it into which clay pots are inserted. It's a self-contained container garden & the 8yo loves it. The final item was a hand-hooked wool rug w/green and ivory as the main colors, embellished w/hummers and ladybugs. It'll look just right in front of the sofa in the summer. So, I enjoyed it, even if I didn't actually go out and trade. (I'm just going to have to tell dh that I got these by doing a robin if he happens to notice them.) I stopped and bought a couple of garden stakes and stuck them in there just to add a little something extra. If anybody takes them, they belong together as one item.

Treesa, there is one padded envelope in there that is JUST FOR YOU, my Queen. They aren't meant as part of this swap. It was just easier to send it in the same box. If anything in there isn't your style, feel free to trade it off for something you like better. I won't be the least bit offended. I just wish it had been a little less hectic here so that I could have met you and maybe your dd in person.

The box was heavier when it left here than it when it arrived because that envelope is a bit hefty, but since it was in the same zone, postage was not as bad as I had dreaded. Postage, itself, was $5.76. Insurance and delivery conf added another $2.75 for a total of $8.51. Your conf.# is 03041560000493594199.

Here's the saga of how that package barely made it into the mail today. (I was going to scream and then cry if I didn't make it to the P.O. today.) I have a routine for the afternoon through evening errand run/kid shuttle. I leave the house at 3:30, pick up ds's girlfriend at the highschool, stop at the local P.O., and mail my packages before heading out the 20 miles to take them to Musical Theater class. If the line is too long, I have to walk back out, drop them off and go to the P.O. in that smaller town. DS had asked if I'd go a little out of the way today and stop so his gf to do some "application thing" at a local fast food place. I thought she was just going to pick one up. Noooooo. As I sat and sat out there in the parking lot waiting I discovered that she was there for an interview. By the time she got out it was already too late to stop at the local P.O.. So, I was going to do my "Plan B". Just after we passed the last alternate exit on the freeway, we came to a dead stop. A car had broken down in the left lane a few miles ahead. Eventually, I got them where they were headed, late, but there. It was 4:25. That small town P.O. closes at 4:30. There was no way that I was going to make it those 3 miles, unload my stack of packages, and get in there before it closed. I headed straight back here. (Oh! I HATE to do that!)I pulled into the parking lot at 4:50 and struggled inside. There were 15 people in line ahead of me, BUT I was IN LINE. For once, no one ahead of me wound up having any major problems, and they had a third person come out to help man the windows so they could get out of there, too. The time on my receipt read: 05:00:09PM. Had to go straight from there to pick up oldest son from play practice and take him to a club meeting & then head back down to pick up the other two from Music. Thea., drop of the gf, and finally get home for a pitstop (and to relieve my bladder) at 7:00. Just had one more 9:00 run left to pick up the older son. Whew! I've got that one block of time during the day to get out and do my mailing. Today it seemed like the world was conspiring to see how determined I really was to make it to an open P.O. Now, they better not lose that box. Insurance only covers what you can provide receipts for and prove the value of. I don't think any of us have receipts for the seeds in there.

Treesa, I hope you enjoy the box. I think there are some interesting seeds in there.

This was a good robin and I enjoyed it very much. Finding a spot to safely set down that box was a real challenge, though. LOL I'm glad it wasn't any larger!

• TREESA207
    19 years ago

The box landed at my house yesterday, there were 9 gift items in the box. I took out the 2 bubble bloomers and added 2 decorative flags. I also took out 2 pkg. of seeds for the veggie garden and replaced with 4 pkg. of flowers. I will send the box out on Monday and post here with confirmation# then. Thank you GARDEN HITS for hosting this nice surprise box. It really was a bunch of FUN!.Treesa207
    I will be sending the box to Dawn in Pa.

• mamabirrd
    19 years ago

Yay, it's my turn! I've been shopping, so I have some great things to put in. I guess I'll look for it to land around the middle of next week.

~mamabirrd

• TREESA207
    19 years ago

I have a question.....Will who ever put the bubble bloomers in the WOW box please tell us where you purchased them?
    I have looked a bunch of places this weekend and can't find them. They are so cute I would love to have more.
    Thank you, Treesa207

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

rewards noted it in her post.

what the heck is a bubble bloomer anyway?

• rewards1
    19 years ago

I got the bubble bloomers in a trade with Mark from Ohio. I thought they were really cute. But I have a brown thumb when it comes to starting plants from cuttings. I am glad you liked them. As to what they are they are just a round glass bubble with a suction cup on the back, you stick them to your window to root cuttings.
    Liz

• mamabirrd
    19 years ago

Hi everyone

Earthly, I received the "Bubble Bloomers" from Mark too. Here's a pic.

They work wonderful for rooting small cuttings.

~mamabirrd

• GardenHits
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have made similar ones with empty unused test tubes (I have 3 cases of them) copper wire and clear suction cups. I sometimes add beads, or stones to them they are really cute.

vicki

• diene
    19 years ago

I believe they are sold all over the place in my part of the world and not too expensive. Let me know if you want me to look.

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

thanks everyone for the information on what bubble bloomers are. i've seen them before, i guess i just didn't know what they were called.

pretty creative idea you have garden hits...i'm all for recycling things into something else.

• mamabirrd
    19 years ago

Hi everyone

Treesa, just wondering how you are shipping? Fed Ex, or USPS, or other? Just wanted to know which I should expect. Thanks, and can't wait 'till it gets here.
    ~mamabirrd

• GardenHits
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bubble bloomers homemade...
    Also what works well are small empty bottle, or even glass salt & pepper shakers. They work better than the test tubes, because the copper wire hangs onto the threads where the cap would have gone. If you make them with test tubes you have to make 2 loops on the wire, one for the top of the test tube and one for the bottom of the test tube to keep it from slipping through.

• mamabirrd
    19 years ago

The robin just landed. I picked it up at the post office and have to say that I was surprised because I expected a much bigger box. Unfortunately, the things I bought won't fit, and I think I'm going to have to find a bigger box. I've made several attempts at repacking, but it's just not happening. Plus, the current box has a split on one side, so it's probably for the best.

Anyway, I picked one of the loam rangers "wind ribbons" in blue. I love it. I collect blue things for the garden, so this will be a nice addition. Very nice!

I also had to pick the "Tigger Easter Flag". He's very cute. I need another garden flag like I need another hole in my head, but I couldn't resist. I've been collecting flags for years and have close to 100.

I will be replacing those with 2 things marked "From mamabirrd".

And as far as seeds go, I took 16 packs and replaced with a nice variety of 20 packs.

I am going to get everything all packed back up in a new box. It shouldn't be much larger. Width-wise it was fine, just needs to be a few inches taller. I'll try to keep it as close to the original as possible. Then I will get it on it's way to Maryanne in Rockledge, PA tomorrow. I'll also let you know whether it's coming Fedex Ground or United States Postal Service.

Thank you to "loam", and whoever contributed the Tigger flag. And thanks to everyone for the seeds.

And thank you to GardenHits for hosting the swap. It was a great idea.

Now, time to go find a box..............

~mamabirrd

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

great mamabirrd, i'll be looking forward to it.
    i am concerned about the size of the box too, because i did pick up some things and sure hope they fit, if not, well, i'll just have to make some minor adjustments.

• mamabirrd
    19 years ago

Hi everyone
    Well, I found a new box, but it is basically the same size as the other, maybe just a "smidge" bigger. The old one was really getting "soft", and a brand new box just seemed to be in order.
    What a time I had packing it! It wasn't easy. Every last inch in the box is taken. I hope EarthlyDelights takes out something big, LOL! But I taped it up real well and it is on it's way. I sent it USPS with insurance and delivery conf.(# 0304 3490 0000 2920 0019), and the total was $9.65.
    I was kind of bummed 'cause I had a few "extras" I wanted to add, but that would have definately required a larger box. I'll just save them for another time.

Thanks again GardenHits.
    ~mamabirrd

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

this robin landed.

i guess i thought the box would be bigger/longer. the stakes and whatnots that i got to go in it certainly won't fit. i do have a few other things though, so i am not complaining. guess i'll just have to use those things myself, or in secret pal trades.

anyway, seems like a nice assortment of stuff, which i will go through later today.

seed package is a fat one. i see some things i have never heard of, need to look up, or have wanted. i'll be doing my research later today and will report back. just letting you know that it was received.

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

I had the opportunity to go through the seed envelope and could not believe my eyes to see some seeds that I was just talking about. I have a fairly large herb garden but had forgotten to pick up one. Low and behold there it was, a package of Italian leaf parsley! One of the others was prairie sunflower. I just saw this in a magazine the other night and it appears it's a vine and being the sunflower fanatic that I am, this made me feel like I hit the jackpot. There were also a few others I didn't have and after looking them up, I thought I would give them a try.

I took out 7 packs and put in 20. (As an aside, there are about a dozen packages of some old commercial seeds, one dated back to either 96 or 98). I know mud mom mentioned she took the 2001 seeds. Being so new to growing from seed, I bypassed them. In my opinion, if I am giving up fresh seeds from last season's harvest or commercial seeds packed for 04 or 05, every other trader should extend the same courtesy.

Also, reading through this thread, Rewards1 stated she put in a garden frog. Since no one mentioned they took this, I was kind of looking forward to adding it to one of our front beds where all the frog statues reside. Did someone get that and forget to mention? It wasn't in the box by the time I got it.

I did put in a set of 5 hot cap plant (cloche) protectors; an orchid pot; a set of 4 cute little garden picks/stakes; an outdoor terra cotta thermometer (which I had to take out of its original packaging since it was just a hair bigger than the robin box. Whoever takes it, be aware that according to the information on its original packaging, it's already "set" by the manufacturer. No matter how hard I tried, it just couldn't fit the original box into this box with everything else and I was determined to send it), and a set of 10 ornamental plant tags. I hope those next in line are happy with what I placed in the box. Everything I purchased, I did in duplicate ~ one for me, one for ?

In exchange, I took the angel (wow, I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her, she will be such a welcome addition to our angel garden); my son claimed the pot hanger immediately, the set of little "welcome" garden picks and the wren bird house.

I did have some other really neat things that would not fit in the box as I needed something longer. Knowing mamambirrd had just changed the box, I didn't think it appropriate to change it completely, afterall, this wasn't my robin and not knowing what those behind me had to place in the box, so I filled it with other things.

The box is now on its way to diene (Kathleen) in Maine by insured (conf #VE755881520US) US mail, confirmation #03043490000099130209. It cost $11.85 to send. I had all intentions of doing fed-ex but I was already at the post office sending out 7 other packages (an expensive day for me at the P.O. I must say - a total of $78.12). I should add that as I look at the receipt for everything I sent, this looks like the only box that doesn't say priority mail and I don't understand it. I can offer no explanation at this time, as it's too late to go back and no one answered the phone when I called. I will do so tomorrow and question the mail clerk. I think they hate me right about now, because a box I mailed from the post office on March 7th got delivered BACK to me yesterday, although my address was the return address. I'll apologize ahead of time in case I'm wrong about the type of mail service. There was way too much confusion and a long line behind me getting more and more annoyed each time I lifted another box to the counter. My suggestion to that is to hire more mail clerks.

I want to thank Garden Hits for sponsoring this robin. This trade was quite enjoyable and I just can't believe I got seeds that I had just been saying to a good friend of mine that I wanted.

Jill I love your suns. They remind me of the Sunday Morning Show with Charles Osgood -- how neat! Cheryl, I really like your wind ribbons, my son makes something very similar (two easy "targets" in the event you are ever my secret pal in future swaps). And once again, whoever put the angel in the box a big THANK YOU. We love the addition of her to our home/garden.

I'll stop talking now. Keep watch diene, it's on it's way. hope you enjoy.

• diene
    19 years ago

Hello to all;
    I have not been paying much attention to this and have just returned from a St. Pat's Day celebration. What a great time to hit Maine as we had two feet of snow last week and hope not to have any until Monday. If the package lands tomorrow I can get it on it's way before the snow flies again. Can someone tell me where it is going or is that in the box? This is very neat and I will let you know when it lands. Thanks. Kathleen

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

after you was to be sue but i believe she backed out. therefore, it would be treasa.
    all the instructions are in the box.

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

vicky and kathleen,

i did go back to the post office yesterday but the clerk that i had was off. i did speak to another "pleasant gentleman" who told me in no uncertain terms - "if that's what the receipt says, then that's the way it shipped".

it appears the package is in springfield mass already, not sure how far that is from hollis, so i assume package will get there today or tomorrow.

i did post this last night, but i only see me previous. guess my machine is haunted or something.

• uptreasa
    19 years ago

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm after Diene.
    I am so excited to see what surprises might be in there. It won't be long now, and this robin will return back home to Vicki. Thank you so very much for hosting this for us, Vicki. I have my items and lots of seeds ready for when it arrives here. This is so much fun. Thanks again!!!!! : ) Treasa

• GardenHits
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Kathleen, remember the private email from February, Sue dropped out. You are not to ship to sue. you are to ship to #12 UPTREASA

• diene
    19 years ago

The package is not here yet but I am hoping maybe tomorrow. I will make sure I check and send it to the correct location. Thanks, this will be very exciting. Kathleen

• diene
    19 years ago

Box landed today, one of the items is broken. It is wrapped in bubblewrap and resembles a plate or one of the suns we saw earlier. It has "Earthy" written on the outside. I have not completely unwrapped it but I can tell the edges are broken. Does the PO cover breakage on an insured package because it was insured? Second question, will they believe it was broken by them or blame me? Third question, does anyone have an approximate value for this item? I have found many neat things and know where it goes next. It should fly by Wednesday. this is fun. diene

• GardenHits
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes it will be covered. Save all packing materials.
    Contact the person who sent it to you, as the post office may require the proof (receipt) that the insurance was paid for. Do not send the box out to the next person until you have taken it to the post office and explained the situation. When you do go, explain that the rest of the contents need to be mailed asap. and they may be able to rush it. besides the seeds how many items are in the package?

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

kathleen,

i put that in there. it's the outside thermometer. value is $10.00. i'll look to see if i still have the receipt.
    i do have the insurance receipt - per the number i posted prior. "edges" are broken? it's a circular item. open it all the way and explain that to me more, please, if you don't mind. how did everything else do? wow, i'm surprised with how good that was wrapped it broke and the orchid pot which i didn't wrap at all stayed intact. this is bizarre to say the least!

has anyone between rewards and mamabirrd continued to read this thread? i am STILL curious about the garden frog.

GH - i sent it off with 5 additional items. still left in the box was the windchime, the wind ribbon, 2 flags and perhaps one other item..i'm trying to remember, and of course the seeds.

• diene
    19 years ago

Hello Earthly & All;
    It was packed on the bottom and I do think the box has seen better days. What I mean is that there appears to be a lip on the edges of the thermometer and that bent when I went to remove the tape on the outside. Someone must have dropped it on the corner it was sitting in in the box. It did make me chuckle as there were at least a half a dozen "fragile" stickers on the box. Is that an orchid pot? I wondered. Since they are not my cup of tea I will leave it for a future recipient. I will take the thermometer as maybe it can be glued. I like the looks of it even though I have not seen the front. I will try to get to the post office tomorrow but unfortunately I work quite a distance away and usually work longer hours than a postal worker. I will call them tomorrow and tell them. It is a small town post office and they remember me picking it up so....
    I will send the box flying Thursday at the latest and I think I will use Fed Ex, they do a better job of tracking. Thanks to all. I have not picked my seeds yet but there certainly are quite a selection. I do believe I have some that are not in there to add to the mix. Thanks to all. Kathleen

• mamabirrd
    19 years ago

Hi Earthly
    Yes, I've continued to read the posts. No froggie in the box when it arrived here. Too bad, sounds like something I would have picked, lol.

I believe the other item in the box (if not taken yet) was my candle/tealights w/coaster to set it on. You had picked the terra cotta wren house that I put in, I believe.
    Also, I had sent you several emails, but they were all returned. Hotmail and AOL just don't "get along". Did you ever receive more than 1 email from me? I think I sent a total of 3 or 4.

~mamabirrd

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

that's right, the citronella candles. box smelled good!

no, i never did receive any e-mails from you. i checked my spam folder and there's nothing there either. gee, i hope you weren't telling me i won the lottery or anything LOL.

i'll e-mail you - then reply and let's see what happens? worth a shot. you can just cut and paste (if you still have them) the old e-mails.

another yuccky day, weather wise, mother nature is such a tease!

• uptreasa
    19 years ago

We wonder where the froggie went!! LOL : ) LOL
    Did he just hop out when someone wasn't looking??? LOL
    Treasa

• GardenHits
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Diene.

Please post the confirm number so we can see where it is and when it will get to the next person. thanks

vicki

• lovemygardens
    19 years ago

Please e-mail me if you plan to do another one of these , been reading the post and it sounds like alot of fun,Thanks, Sheila

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

i would be curious to hear was kathleen took and added to the box. the box was a brand new one, sent by mamabirrd, so i certainly don't understand the "box has seen better days". there's a lot i don't understand about this particular robin. it was fun, but very strange!

• uptreasa
    19 years ago

Diene, is this on it's way to me yet???? Treasa

• diene
    19 years ago

Hello to all;
    The bird flew today via Fed Ex Ground to Treasa, the tracking number is 5928568. It left Portland Maine this morning. Sorry about the delay, my father went in for knee surgery and almost did not come out so I had a bad week. Anyways, it has a new box, I have not been able to do anything with the broken thermometer but I think I will just take some gorilla glue to it and enjoy it. The box is weighing in at a bit over 11 pounds. I hope it has a safe flight. Thanks to all. The seed envelope is amazing but I did wonder about the old ones, do they still germinate? I have been throwing them out. Happy spring to all. Kathleen

• uptreasa
    19 years ago

Thank you, Kathleen. I am sorry about your dad. Hope he will be OK now. : ) I think I will choose the orchid pot that's in there. I am a recent orchid owner, and that might come in handy. I am so excited about the seeds too!
    Thank you. I'll let you all know when I get the box. : )
    Treasa

• diene
    19 years ago

Hello Treasa;
    I tried to track the package from work today to see how far it had traveled and discovered that I had given you the wrong number. The number I gave you is the pre-printed one on the shipping slip. The tracking number I have since figured out is #045694635182212 and it is FedEx. But when I tracked it I discovered that it was not even off the east coast and was not expected to land until the fifth of April. I did not realize that FedEx ground was that slow. I thought it was a three day guarantee. I am not impressed with that but it is too late now. I feel twice as sad because I held on to it for a week. Sorry. Enjoy. Kathleen

• uptreasa
    19 years ago

LOL Kathleen, I was afraid of an April Fool's joke or something!! hehehe LOL Oh, well. No problem. I'll just plant more seeds and look around to see my outside plants, now that our snow is melting. I'll appreciate the box even more. Thank you for letting me know that it will be a little late. Back to more winter sowing. : ) Here's a quote I like.
    "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant." Robert Louis Stephenson
    : ) Treasa

• uptreasa
    19 years ago

Well, the robin came today!! Someone should have used those old seeds years ago already! I will choose out some packets and see what happens. I guess I could use the hotcaps more than Vicki, so I will keep those. And the orchid pot. But, then I could use the citronella for the Michigan state bird, the mosquito. LOL Wow, the sand dollars that Kathleen added. At first I thought it was a chime. Gotta go. Be back later. Treasa

• diene
    19 years ago

By the way, if anyone else from this group is interested, I have plenty. I walk the beach quite frequently and just can not leave them if they are in one piece. I am always amazed to watch them tumble in the Atlantic surf and not smash.

• uptreasa
    19 years ago

Hi, all. The robin is back on it's way to Vicki. Wow, hubby mailed it for me and it cost over $13, and he forgot to get a tracking number! I am so sorry. I put in a metal sun face, a beadwork fruit mat, a windchime, a small flower photo frame, mega packs of seeds from my 2004 garden, three Al's hanging flower pouches and a Spearmint plant for you Vicki. Postage was a lot on something so light. Hubby didn't send it priority either. Thank you. Treasa

• GardenHits
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I want to thank you all for participating in my Round Robin.
    I hope you all had fun. Maybe we can do it again sometime. I know I have enjoyed reading what everyone was receiving.

Treasa, Fedex ground probably would have been cheaper than US mail.

Diene, Yes fedex "ground" takes about the same amount of time as Parcel post...but most times costs less if shipped from a fedex station (not a mail boxes etc type location) and the tracking on fedex is much better and the insurance does not cost anything. Where USPS mail charges for both tracking and insurance. FederalExpress (not ground) is really fast but costs much more.

I love the new USPS flat rate boxes. A specially marked flat rate box is only 7.50 priority. Cant beat those prices.