SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leesgarden_gw

Moving to CO - am I gonna be in shock or what!

leesgarden
19 years ago

Our house is going into escrow here in Southern California, and then we are moving to CO. Looking in the Colorado Springs area, but on the outskirts so we can get plenty of land for our horses. CAN'T WAIT! But I know I'm going to be in shock with gardening LOL! Especially since I love salvia and geraniums!

Any good advice? I am bringing my named irises and daylilies. How do brugs do out there? I'm sure my salvias and geraniums will change to azaleas and rhododendons.

Thanks!

Lisa :)

lbialy@peoplepc.com

Comments (38)

• bpgreen
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Before planting azaleas and rhododendrons, check the PH of the soil. I'm not sure about Colorado Springs, but the soil in most places in the intermountain states tends to be alkaline, and those are both acid loving plants.

Another thing you'll need to get used to is when to plant. I live in Utah, and learned that I have to wait much longer to start planting than I did in Illinois (probably even more of a shock for you coming from So CA). I think Colorado Springs has weather pretty similar to ours here. If that's teh case, don't be fooled by a week of warm weather, because it may well mean nothing more than that a cold snap is due. The first year we had our house, I planted the garden twice, and was getting ready to plant a third time, when there was an article in the paper that basically said it was easy to tell the newcomers, because they were the ones who were already planting gardens.

• Dan
    19 years ago

Colorado Springs is no place to grow azaleas or rhodies. The soils are alkaline, the air is very dry, and the sun ultra intense. You can maybe get them to survive for a while, but they will not thrive.

I assume you are talking about hardy geraniums and salvia, both of which grow well here. Of course the tender ones grow also, but will die in the winter. Don't plan on setting out any frost sensitive plants until after May 31st, especially if you live in the outskirts.

It isn't all gloomy, though! I grow the best delphiniums here...way better than any other place I've lived (and thats alot of places). Your irisis and daylilies will do just fine. You can grow daffodils, tulips, peonies, lilacs and a host of other cold climate plants. You can grow some varieties of roses, but they won't grow into the monsters that they do in CA. The roses that do grow, though, will give you great color. The intensity of the sun really brings it out. No muddy reds or pinks here.

This is the most challenging spot I've lived for gardening because your options are so limited by the climate, poor soils, and in the last few years drought. But the rewards are that much sweeter.

Welcome to Colorado, and best of luck!

Dan

• Related Discussions

moving and trying not to shock bamboo!

Q

Comments (1)
    I live near Seattle, so we have fairly similar climates. At least the time between now and March are the best times for transplanting cold hardy bamboo. If it were me, I'd wait until just before your move, and prepare planting holes at your new property. Then I would dig up the biggest rootballs I could manage, make sure they're moist, put the rootballs in big plastic bags, and move and re-plant as quickly as possible. As for topping, I know people do it to rebalance the foliage with the root mass, but I try to avoid it if possible. If you keep the tall culms, you'll have to stake the plants for several months until they get established. I don't know what options you have for physically moving your plants, but I use a van with the seats removed and attach a small trailer behind. The rootballs go up front in the van and the tall culms are gently tied down to the trailer. If you'll be travelling at higher speeds for a number of miles, it's best to do a tight spiral wrap with twine of all the foliage on each plant so it doesn't whip around and get wind-burned. If you have more questions, send me an email. Good luck.
    ...See More

I think these hostas are gonna need moving.

Q

Comments (12)
    Nell, I should have phrased that better. I think it's the dry air. Or maybe not. I am certainly no hosta expert, having only a few. : ) I just notice they stay put and I haven't had to divide them. They are in well amended soil with regular watering. We don't have snails or slugs. Maybe that's the problem. Don't you need them to go with the hostas ? (joking) TM, sorry to hear about your amaranth. I lost a lot of my sunflower seedlings when I went on vacation and my water helper forgot about them. I've started over. I'll probably not see blooms until xmas. : ) Diana
    ...See More

Gonna Rain Gonna Rain Gonna Rain

Q

Comments (15)
    We had a bit in Athens today, enough to make the ground ready for more, keep it coming! best ever weather site- http://www.wunderground.com/ Being a Yankee, severe thunderstorms and tornadoes make me a bit edgy. This site shows storms and where they are expected to go, rainfall totals and a bunch of stuff I like to look at just because the info is there (echo tops etc.). wishing you all wet weather! m
    ...See More

HUGE Hosta Move - Am I Doing This Right?

Q

Comments (8)
    Perhaps using heavy duty garbage bags would be useful. They won't fall apart when wet like cardboard. The bagged rootballs and extra dirt and straw won't spill out in the move. They can be packed more tightly together during the move. I have used garbage bags when relocating hostas or other perennials were too big for any pots that I have, although those were fair weather moves. However, several autumns ago we had a terrible storm with lightning and winds of up to 89 mph. Two enormous trees in the backyard were felled, and crushed many smaller trees and most of the shrubs in the center of the yard. I dug up the only 2 rhododendrons from under the downed trees and branches that were not destroyed while waiting for the tree guys to cut and remove the huge mess. The damage was so widespread in our area that it took them over a month to get to us. I had no idea when or where I could replant the poor rhodos. Most of the yard was a ten foot high wall of downed tree limbs. I dragged the bags to an undamaged part of my daylily garden. Winter came early, and the poor rhodos sat out until spring with only dirt in the garbage bags to protect them. To my utter shock, they survived undamaged, bloomed and thrived once replanted in the spring. ~Bunnycat
    ...See More
  • plantladyco
    19 years ago

Buy this book.
    The Undaunted Gardener by Lauren Springer
    I live in Colo Spgs, which by the way, is an easier place to garden than on the outskirts.
    I have a great perennial garden. It's all about choosing appropriate plants.
    Daylilies and iris do great here. Azaleas are much too tender. Rhod. pretty iffy.
    There are perennial geraniums that do well and the less tender salvias.
    Be prepared for deer!
    Kathy

• User
    19 years ago

Having lived in S CA for a year or so I will make an assumption that the geraniums are what are generally grown as house plants or annuals by the rest of the country. Depending on your new dwelling you may be able to grow them in large pots and bring them inside. I remember my shock when I first noticed the bushes had geranium flowers on them.

• animas
    19 years ago

I second the reading of the Undaunted Garden. Another required book is Passionate Gardening by Springer and Rob Proctor. The photos are inspirational and the text informative and witty. Also, subscribe to the Mountain West edition of Sunset magazine and get on the mailing list of High Country Gardens. For further inspiration, visit the Denver Botanic Gardens, particularly in May. Spectacular!

You'll love Colorado, but it's a different planet when it comes to gardening. I think the biggest challenge is temperatures. On a routine day, there can be a temperature change of 40 degrees. This yo-yo really separates the men from the boys when it comes to plants. It's particularly evident in spring, when nighttime lows are in the low 20s but the days are in the 50s and even 60s. Many gardeners set out their plants too early. The preferred time to plant perennials is autumn, when the air is cooler but the soil is still quite warm. Unfortunately, most of the "good stuff" is long-gone from the nurseries.

Speaking of nurseries, find not just a good nursery but a GREAT one. I live on the other side of the state, so the Colo. Springs members will have to provide tips in this department. Whatever you do, do not buy plants from the big box retailers like Wally-Word, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. These guys get their plants trucked in from warm, far-away greenhouses. While the plants look good and lush in the store, they suffer tremendously because they are hardened off and aren't used to the bright sunshine, drying winds and alkaline soil. It's worth every penny to buy plants from great local nurseries, particularly the ones that grow their own material.

There will be a whole new menu of plants from which to select. Forget the broadleaf evergreens like azalias and rhodies. They will fry. For year-round green, turn to the conifers, which come in all shapes, sizes, textures and colors. Broadleaf evergreens that do well here are Manzanita and curlleaf mountain mahogany. Bulbs thrive, as well as a host of perennials. Ornamental grasses are a natural match for prairie-edge areas such as Colo. Springs.

Water conservation is not an option but a way of life. Many municipalities will limit your use, but not unreasonably so. Grow buffalo grass rather than kentucky blue grass if you have a lawn. If you are on a well, make darn sure its a good one and find a source for irrigation. In most places, well water can never be used outside the home. Ever. If you have irrigation/ditch rights, know what your water rights are. Just because you have a ditch on your land doesn't mean you have water. And also be aware that many other people can trump you for water if their water rights are senior to yours. I don't mean to scare you, but only to give you a heads up, especially if you are considering horse property. Drip irrigation or soaker hoses will save you lots of money and provide better watering.

You'll likely have clay-based soil - another challenge. The good news is that things raised in dryish clay will grow tight, colorful and tough. Most stuff that dies in clay is either unsuited for the soil or is waterlogged and chokes to death. Practice tough love on your plants. There are few pest bugs to deal with as well as foliar diseases, which is good news. I prefer gravel as a mulch over bark. People will debate this, but any mulch is better than none.

For spikey plants other than salvia, try penstemons, russian sage or agastache (hummingbird mint). These grow incredibly well and provide just as vivid color. There are a couple of salvias that will be hardy, but many won't hack the colder weather. The salvia x. sylvestris forms (Blue Queen, etc) will do great.

Good luck!

• plantladyco
    19 years ago

animus (re: nurseries) and Lisa
    My favorite nursery is Good Earth.
    Also Hillside Gardens

• bpgreen
    19 years ago

Some people don't like buffalo grass because it can take a long time to green up, and goes dormant at the first frost.

I was planning to grow buffalo grass in my lawn, until I heard how late it would start to green up (around mid May here, probably similar for your climate) and how early it would go brown (first frost, which can be pretty early at my elevation, and Co Springs is higher). It also looked like it would be a little difficult to establish, since I'd first have to kill all the cool season grasses.

I heard about crested wheatgrass, and was going to overseed my lawn with that, but then learned that it is non-native, and there are better looking wheatgrasses that are native, so I planted some western wheatgrass and streambank wheatgrass. They're a little lighter green than KBG, but not much, their growing season is similar to KBG, and they have water requirements in the same range as buffalo grass. I planted a test plot of crested wheatgrass just to see how it looks, and it is quite a bit lighter than the other grasses. Crested wheatgrass is much less expensive than western or streambank wheatgrass, and is easier to get started, as well (although the streambank wheatgrass sprouted and grew even in a spot that I forgot to water after the initial planting).

• Rosa
    19 years ago

I second Hillside gardens and Good Earth (the one on chestnut off Uintah st). They both have great plant selections. Hillside Gardens has alot of penstemon species and varieties and Good earth has an amazing selection of heirloom tomatoes and peppers to try.

• hortgirl123
    19 years ago

I think you will be fine with your geraniums and salvia...both hardy and non-hardy. Just make sure you plant them in amended soil, and not to early. Gazanias are another great color blast. They do well with the drought and bloom all season long. I have also found that garden centers sell them for annual price, and they are a perrennial. Good Luck!

• Dan
    19 years ago

I wanted to add an aside after reading Animas' great post. About the soils...they can very quite wildly in the Co. Spgs area. You can go from some of the nastiest clay you've every seen to pure sand. I've lived in both here, and I'll take the clay any day. Both will need amending to be sure (especially since the fertility of the soils is so low) but at least the clay will hold water once you get it wet.

As you get closer to the mountains, the 'soil' is much more gravelly...like a fine decomposed granite. And be careful of bentonite when buying a home. It's an expansive soil that can ruin your foundation in no time. It's mostly in the foothills west of I25. Any realtor worth his salt will make sure to include a soil analysis in your contract.

While I'm thinking about it, a spikey plant I've had success with here is veronica. It takes some water, but doesnt seem to mind the heat or the sun (or the cold!). Depending on your elevation, lupines also do well, although they seem to be short lived at the lower elevations.

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    19 years ago

Bentonite "happens" all over the front range, sort of the result of ancient deposits and such, my folks deal with the stuff in eastern Denver, their front yard keeps sliding off. Its something to inquire about specifically and repeatedly, and another reason to think xeriscape.

• nicole__
    19 years ago

Hello,

You mentioned brugs......it's grown as an indoor tropical plant here. When grown indoors it's prone to spider mites(spray with neem oil),needs to be watered every other day and fed heavily. I've NEVER seen a brugmansia for sale here,people grow datura as an annual. I've tried putting the brug outdoors in the summer months only to have the BIG leaves shredded by the high winds.

I also love geraniums,but they SMELL terribly....it's unpleasant to grow them indoors. I don't enjoy the scented ones any better.....

Salvia has sister plants that look alike and grow well outdoors here like Veronica/Speedwell.....for a good blue,but for a good red....that's going to be attainable in other perennial plants.

I hope you have LOTS of room indoors to grow the plants you truly LOVE!!!!

N.....

• mikez4
    19 years ago

Now for a differing view. Things in Colorado aren't as bad as some people think. The climate imposes some limitations, but not as many as one might think. Rhododendrons can grow in Colorado, but generally only in older areas with mature landscaping. Same for Japanese Maples, certain Magnolias and other plants which one might not expect here. Reasonable locating of the plants, a little extra care and some luck are needed.

One plant that grows better in Colorado's climate than many other parts of the country is Kentucky Bluegrass. This will probably get a nasty response from others, but before you commit to anything other than Kentucky Bluegrass, take a look at the alternatives during the various seasons and under your anticipated usage conditions (e.g., foot traffic). I've yet to see anything that isn't very much a compromise. Additionally, Bluegrass can be grown nicely with half the water most people use if proper cultivation practices are observed (i.e., a properly designed and maintained irrigation system, monitoring the water needs of the lawn, manually starting the irrigation cycle when the lawn needs water (rather than just running it every three days regardless of whether), adjusting cycle run times to conform to the season and weather).

In short, don't be too pessimistic. If you enjoy gardening and are willing to risk a few failures, there are lots of things to try.

• Dan
    19 years ago

I agree that as a turfgrass in this area KB is hard to beat. But the drought has wakened people to the fact that they need to rethink how they use it. I think smaller, well placed areas with a sprikler on a timer can go a long way to being water wise, yet getting the lush, cooling effect of a lawn.

I agree that you CAN grow acid and humidity loving plants. I've done it myself here. But they really don't thrive, just survive. Personally I'd rather grow things that will thrive here. Maybe its because I'm from back east and know what those types of plants look like when they are planted in a more suitable location. It almost seems like torture to try and grow them here. If you really want to grow them and have the time, money and enthusiasm for it, by all means try it. For me, I take more satisfaction from seeing my plants grow with vigor. And so little will do that here (comparatively speaking).

There's my .02, FWIW. There is no doubt the gardening is challenging here, but it is not without rewards!

Dan

• plantladyco
    19 years ago

If Lisa wants to live out where she can have horses, why do you think she needs a lawn?
    What's wrong with native landscaping?

• Dan
    19 years ago

I don't think there's anything wrong with native/xeric landscaping. I think you should go with what you've got for the most part when it comes to climate, soils, etc., and around here that means plants that can handle heat, cold, and drought. Especially if someone is going to live out a bit. And I agree that if you've got a large piece of land it would be inappropriate (maybe even insane!) to try and install a lawn over the whole thing that requires irrigation. Small areas close to the house though can keep your house cooler, keep the dust down, and keep mud out of the house. It is not without its uses even in a xeric landscape.

• leesgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I really appreciate all this input!! I am going to start with a very small garden, and then work my way out. The water rights thing is definitely going to be something different to deal with, but here in So Cal we've had a drought also, and I really try to watch my watering and plant things that don't require too much water. Not worried about having a lawn, I barely have one here where I live. I have the largest piece of property around here (over half acre) and the smallest lawn LOL! I love trees, so conifers will be my first thought. I have always wanted to plant veronicas but they don't do well here, so I'm excited about that. And I have a bunch of irises and I am sure they will do well.

Not to mention I will have some nice horse poop to amend soil as needed :)

Now, deer are going to be hard to get used to LOL!

• mikez4
    19 years ago

Whoa. I'm not suggesting that anyone should plant Kentucky Bluegrass for a horse pasture, but even people with acreage often times choose a small cultivated portion near the house. Based on leesgarden's original post and his/her homepage, I assumed that he/she might be interested in some degree of cultivated gardening.

Now on a broader point, I'd like to explore xeric and native issues. First, "native" is a relative term. In its narrowest interpretation, it would mean what was originally growing on the specific land in question. If that's going to be our definition, than all of this talk of gardening and plants is moot. Just leave it as is.

A broader definition would be, "high plains, front range." What's native to the high plains front range? Prairie grasses, a very few shrubs and the occasional tree along a waterway. If you want any trees, you would be limited to box elder, Plains cottonwood, oneseed juniper, peachleaf willow and a few others. Note that box elder, Plains cottonwood and willow all have high moisture requirements. That's why they historically were only found along stream banks. Few properties in the front range have streams running through them, so your trees would be limited to oneseed junipers. If you doubt any of this, look at pictures of the front range from the 1800's. Alternatively, drive through non-cultivated areas along the front range.

A broader, and I suppose more popular definition of "native" would be "native to somewhere in Colorado." I'm not sure what the underlying rationale is as to why it's better to plant things that happen to exist in some part of a politically defined geographic area. Is a plant that is native to the midwest plains somehow worse than a plant that is native to a Montane zone in Colorado? Why is transforming the front range into an extension of the mountain areas any less of a violation of the natural order than incorporating plants from more similar regions of North America. Most "native" plants from other climate zones in Colorado don't do any better on the front range than plants fron the northeast or midwest, all of which need supplemental irrigation and cultivation techniques. Some do much worse - the native aspen tree is a horrible selection for lower elevations.

Finally, there is the issue of diversity of plants, particularly trees. Limit an area to a handful of species and the risk of severe insect or disease problems arises, as demonstrated by the Dutch Elm disease problems. Elms, of course, aren't native, but native plants are not immune from devastating outbreaks. For example, the Ips Engraver Beetle is very fond of spruce trees - if you haven't heard about it yet, you will in the next few years.

Now, xeric. Water use is a reasonable concern, but let's face it, it's tough to go 100% xeric. There are basically no (desirable) trees that are truly xeric. Xeric, combined with native, means leave the land as it is - if it was native and could grow on the front range, it would already be here. Again, this doesn't seem to be the satisfactory to most of us or we wouldn't be discussing gardening on this website.

Xeric, non-native plants are probably worse in some respects than non-xeric, non-native. Xeric, non-native plants pose a significant threat of escaping cultivation and crowding out native plants. Russian olives and Tamarisk are excellent examples of plants that thrive in Colorado's climate and have thus created a monumental problem. I'm pretty comfortable that my rhododenrons aren't going to escape cultivation and out-compete Colorado native plants in there natural settings.

I must admit that I have always lived in Colorado, so my expectations of many acid/humid plants may be much lower than the expectations of those from other parts of the country. Nonetheless, when my PJM rhododenrons develop there maroon winter color or are in full spring bloom, when my saucer magnolia is covered with flowers, when my Full Moon maple is in full fall color, when the exfoliating bark of my Paperbark maples is highlighted in the winter snow (to name just a few plants), it brings me (and based on their comments, my neighbors and visitors) great pleasure. Apparently, the mix of native and non-native, xeric and non-xeric, is also attractive to wildlife, as I've counted over thirty species of birds on my property (including a number which have successfully nested), and am regularly visited by assorted small mammals.

I have native plants. I have low water use plants. I also have non-native plants and non-xeric plants. Well managed Kentucky Bluegrass in appropriate areas of my yard meets my needs better than blue grama grass. The point is that everything is a compromise. Flame me if you must, but that's my opinion.

• plantladyco
    19 years ago

Gee--------I didn't consider that flaming!!

• simbasue
    19 years ago

You will LOVE Colorado. I moved here 20 years ago from Hawaii and have never ceased to love it--including the brilliant sunshine that we get we get most days. I grew up in Newport Beach and thought I could never live without the ocean, but what is wonderful about Colorado is that we have this wonderful unbounded praire and horizon and so much space that it has the same effect on my soul. The other thing about Colorado, is that most of the people here love it. In other words, you are surrounded by people who are happy to be here and aren't looking to get the next bus out. It makes a big difference.

Another great source ( for soil tests) and other information is the University Extension. I have given you a link to just a small part of the site. Look beyond the PlantTalk section, because there is LOTS more.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Colorado

• tahoekay
    19 years ago

I moved from Sacramento, CA to South Lake Tahoe, CA at 6200 feet three years ago. High altitude is not worse -- just different. Much to my surprise, there are plants that do BETTER in cold climates -- peonies, for example.

I second finding and frequently visiting local nurseries. You may also be able to find classes and seminars and a local garden club with knowledgeable members.

Have fun!

Kay

• lacyo
    19 years ago

Thank you everyone!! I'm also moving from So. Calif. but about another year out (spring '06, Southern Utah, zone 5, 6,000ft)Fifty plus years gardening here---and it going to be a change!!Thanks for the book suggestions--It's just the help I needed.

• shudavies
    19 years ago

In addition to all the preceding, I recommend that you consider your site carefully. Besides varying soil quality, some areas are relatively windy and that will affect how well a lot of plants grow. (The winds are generally dry.) A site with less wind and/or good wind protection will be much better for gardening. Ditto what someone said about water - make sure your realtor knows you want water for outdoor gardening, or you won't be growing much of anything. (Plus if you have water for outdoor use, you can grow a windbreak.) And personally, I'd rather garden on a gentle south or west-facing slope, even though I might have to water a little more. The ground doesn't freeze as often or as deeply, so plants can take up more moisture in winter, and the coldest air will drain down to lower spots. So, don't just pick a nice spot for your horses; I bet you'll spend more time gardening than you do riding!

• mmaloof
    19 years ago

Hi everybody,
    I'm an Atlanta girl (z7) moving to Laramie, Wyoming (z5) in a few months, so leesgarden, I will be experiencing climactic/culture shock right along with you! :-) Was wondering if I should probably look at growing the same things y'all recommend for Colo. Springs (hardy rhodies, peonies, evergreens, etc.) or is Laramie somewhat different from Colorado Springs in terms of gardening options ... ? My boyfriend is telling me I'm going to have to go 100% xeric but I find that difficult to believe/accept. ;-) Thanks in advance for your input ...

• wyocolo
    19 years ago

mmaloof:
    You will find Laramie much colder and dryer than the Front Range of Colorado. I have seen it snow even in June but thats rare. In spite of long winters, there are nice warm breaks in the spring/winter, plants that are cold tolerant will do fine.. starting them in a greenhouse helps. Water is supplied either from the city ( in town ) or from wells which you need water rights to irrigate from. The town is small but friendly and safe, hope you enjoy your big move.
    PS You will love the Snowy Range.

• dirtboy58
    19 years ago
  • grubbyknees
    19 years ago

Hi, and welcome to the rockies! I'm North of you a ways, up in Wyoming. I agree with all thats been said about plants that grow here. (I'm also a Calif native)
    My experiance is with horses. We have "horse property".
    In an arid climate it takes a lot of pature for each horse, more than most folks can afford.
    Most people keep their horses in a large corral and let them into the pasture for short periods in Spring and early Summer, and much less or not at all later unless you have irrigation.
    Horses are murder on pasture. they eat it right down to the ground then their hooves cut the roots. When the weather is dry this kills the grass. In a year or two all that will grow is the weeds the horses won't eat.
    The ranchers have a saying about what animals to graze and when:
    Sheep in the Spring
    Cows in the Fall
    Horses never, ever at all!
    It's not THAT bad, but you do have to be careful.
    Be sure to ask the natives about how to care for pasture in your area. You may not have nearly as much forage as you thought.
    GORGOUS places to ride though! You'll love it!

• Artful_Gardener
    19 years ago

I can appreciate your concern - I moved to Colorado (elevation 6500, zone 4 minus) from So Cal 8 years ago. In addition to the other suggestions, here are a few more: 1. Visit Denver Botanic Gardens - it's beautiful, and is an outstanding resource with excellent classes. 2. Contact your County's local CSU Cooperative Extension Service. They have fact sheets with the info you'll need on soil and water specifically for Colorado. The handouts are also online: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/pubgard.html. 3. Great new book - CSU has just come out with "Best Perennials for the Rocky Mountains and High Plains" which is perfect for us 4. Consider taking Master Gardener classes which will probably start next Spring. You'll learn tons about CO gardening.
    I didn't believe my new neighbors when they said it's not safe to plant 'til early June. After all, it can be very hot here in March and April. Actually, you can plant HARDY perennials and annuals in late March/early April. Just don't plant anything tender w/o protective covers 'til after the frost date for your new area. You'll be surprised by a frost on May 30th or some other ridiculously late date and lose all your tender geraniums. The flip side of this is don't wait too late to plant, because hardy plants set out in the mild, plant friendly conditions of early April-mid May will do much better than those planted in late June or July when the searing sun and lack of rainfall kicks in. If you wait too late they will struggle all summer.
    There are tons of plants and shrubs that grow better here than anywhere else in the country. Try ornamental grasses, agastaches, penstemons, artemesias, achillea, jupiter's beard, ornamental oreganos, catmints, coreposis, sedums, gallardias, asters, daisies; the list is almost endless. Tons of salvias do very well here - May Night, Blue Hill, Plumosa, Rose Queen, Purple Rain, to name a few. CO nurseries have a drought rating program (called "X Rated" -cute, huh!) for plants, look for plants rated XX or XXX and water won't be an issue. There is also a CO program called Plant Select which chooses plants great for our area - many would work well in Co Springs.
    You'll love the lack of whitefly, black spot, and lots of other diseases and bugs you'll leave behind in So Cal. And you get to take a 3-4 month break from Gardening here in the winter. Have fun!

• leesgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well here's another question. Since I will be leaving a lot of disease and bugs behind, do I need to leave behind my plants I was going to bring with me? I have japanese maples, salvias, geraniums, penstemon, succulents, and a few others, all potted up and ready to go. I didn't even think about taking live plants into another state - could I have problems? I have all my named irises and daylilies bagged up, I know those won't be a problem.

And, how do succulents do in Colorado climate?

Thanks everyone for all the helpful hints, ideas and suggestions!! We won't be in Colorado until April (if things go smoothly), but I think that will be a much better time to move than December/January would have been LOL!

• david52 Zone 6
    19 years ago

Certainly there would be, somewhere, a list of quaranteed plants, but usually its stuff going to California, not from Cal. As a precaution, you might want to dose your plants with both a systemic fungicide as well as a systemic pesticide, just to be sure. Invasive weeds / bugs are a huge problem, as you know. Other than that, I would say bring 'em all and see how they do.

• Istanbuljoy
    19 years ago

HI, I also live in Colorado Springs and about being in shock, well you may if we have an 80 degree day that turns into a snowy one at 5:00 PM. That happened our first year here. But, I have loved the plants that I can grow here!

I noticed that Hardings Nursery (turn left one street before the Platt exit) sells Rodys so check with them for tenderness. If you are out of town I am thinking that will be north. THat area is higher in elevation and colder. Monument area is almost a zone colder than us. I have friends that have snow cover most of the winter!

The Horticultural Society has a great plant sale middle of May. The Dever Botanical Center has one as well. Both are excellent and it would be a great introduction to what we have available here. Also, a favorite nursery of mine is Rick's Off Unitah (go west).
    Also, if you are north there is a family that have converted acres of land around their house into wonderful gardens. The paths are actually the mulch for winter. It is an incredible site to see. The man of the house is a landscaper and he has built several green houses, propagation house and other structures that will inspire orders for such.

Istanbuljoy

• Istanbuljoy
    19 years ago

Succulents do well here! You will find fields of volunteer Yucca and some in landscapes. Also the CSU classes and the Master Gardener classes are starting very soon.

• herbalicious
    19 years ago

I don't have time to read all the other messages but just a quick word of advice - Colorado Natives are not real fond of transplants, as in people who immigrate here. Their top two disliked transplants are Texans and Californians. Change your license plates ASAP as a matter of top priority. And I have learned to stay very quiet about being from out of state. When we first moved here (7 years ago) there were often write ups in the paper about eggings of cars that were from Texas or California and people being harrassed, kids at school, etc. It is fairly openly discussed in social situations, as well. I had family here who helped me transition fast, they were concerned for our family. People like being here and it's getting body to body over-crowded and the growth and expense is staggering. It's on the minds of many - like at the top of their minds - and sometimes it's just better not to say you are a transplant, especially don't be passing the word around that you are from Southern California. The transplant to native ratio is evening up fast so this may not be an issue for too much longer. Good luck! And I am not saying this to put anyone down or cause fear or anything like that. Just friendly advice from someone who went through it. Like I said - it's getting better but we have had a ton of construction again lately, you will see that in the Springs - and people are antsy again.

• goddess_co_z5
    19 years ago

I think where you live in Colorado makes a difference as to whether you have problems as an 'outsider'. I've not noticed that in either Denver or Colorado Springs. Most of us came from somewhere else.

A word about horse properties. Make sure you get the water rights for livestock watering. Especially if you plan to buy in Black Forest.

And since the war in Iraq we have lost one of our best riding areas. The Air Force Academy is closed to non-military. It's just a ten minute trailer ride from where I board my horse, sigh.

As far as pasture and grass and what to grow, try the Colorado State extension service. Liesl

Here is a link that might be useful: CSU extension

• leesgarden
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, we are FINALLY here, found a great home in Elizabeth! Have already made lots of friends (not too worried about being a So Cal transplant LOL). The weather is awesome, but very different. I have a nice planter by the front door that already has established lavenders, lambs ear, thyme, artemesia and hardy geranium. Working on cleaning stuff out. We also have pines and aspens, and then natural grass. We have an awesome bridle path that goes throughout the whole town and is so much fun for riding. Of course, this town seems to be all about horses! Would love to hear from anybody in my area as to other plants that do well. I did bring all my named irises and daylilies, and some other things that don't require much water.

• judyj
    19 years ago

Hi there,
    I've lived in Colorado for 10 years, coming from Maryland (where everything seems to grow!). It's drier and colder, and altitude does make a difference. Reading through these emails, there is alot of great advice.

Harding nursery is one of my favorites-it's down on the SE part of Colorado Springs, but beware about things like Rhodos etc. Even though they sell them, it doesn't mean that they're hardy. If you're looking for horseland, you will not be in Colorado Springs, but on the fringes or further. Parts are zone 4, but others are zone 5, and I'd use the website to the Colorado State University Coop extension. Before it was posted, I didn't know anything about it, so maybe they can explain why my apples, flowering plums and almonds don't flower well!

Welcome to the state and enjoy yourself-it's beautiful here!
    Best,
    Judy

• amester
    18 years ago

Hi, Lisa - I'm just over in Highlands Ranch and my whole yard is hardy perennials. Some of my favorites that I grow are catmint (it blooms all summer and is very pretty), sundrops, penstemon, hyssop, columbine, and salvia. Some of them are starting to bloom but they'll all be in full swing in about another three weeks or so. I'm a newbie gardener and my yard is still "in progress" but I have about a dozen different things growing quite well, you're welcome to stop by if you'd like to look at anything.
    I just planted my first named daylilies last night and am so excited!! Which ones do you have?

• jnfr
    18 years ago

One thing you might think about come winter is that many plants here that can take the cold will still die off if they dry out completely. And we get winds here that can suck the moisture out of anything before you know it! My first few winters here I lost a number of very hardy perennials and couldn't figure out why, till someone at a seminar recommended that I deep-water my perennials and shrubs anytime we have a long dry spell. Since I've started watering a couple times through the winter, I haven't lost a thing.