SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Made my First Pumpkin Pie

digit
11 years ago

I made my first pumpkin pie yesterday. Actually, I made 6 of them!

Well, it was my first pie made out of pumpkin. I've been making "pumpkin" pies for over 50 years! There was a nice big pumpkin that didn't get carved up for Halloween - so, I took a chance on it. What I've made in the past were not from Jack o'Lantern pumpkins, they were squash!

Yep. Wonderful Pink Banana squash when I was living in southern Oregon and Buttercup for more years than I can think of since I moved north! Follow the recipe on the Libby can. Oh yeah, I've used what was in the can for pumpkin pie, and I could be wrong, but I've read that it is the pulp from "neck pumpkins" that Libby uses. So, it is something related to Butternut squash that gets called "pumpkin" on Thanksgiving tables throughout the nation.

I was thinking I could have made EIGHT pies from that pumpkin but there were only 6 cans of Carnation evaporated milk. You can find that Libby recipe on some cans of Carnation milk or it is probably online somewhere. BTW, 1 Libby can = 1 1/3 cups of cooked squash/pumpkin.

DW made the crusts as she always does. If I do it, they are like shoe leather . . .

The pies turned out okay (C. maxima squash is better ;o). They really don't taste any different than what would have come out of a Libby can -- I think I did good!

Steve

Comments (10)