SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

**Damaging insects on my peppers right now(yes, now in December)

highlandernorth
12 years ago

Last June, I discovered that pepper plants are perennials, and will continue to grow if you bring them indoors when it starts getting cold.

So, I had purchased young, small pepper plants in May and July. I planted 3 peppers in pots, and 3 in the ground.

In late October, I dug up the other 3 and planted them in decent sized pots, and brought them all in. They are: 3 green Bell peppers, 1 Tam mild Jalapeno, and 2 Poblano/Anchos.

The only problem I had during the regular growing as far as insects were concerned was the occasional Katydid which would eat holes in the leaves every once in a while.

Now, I had insect issues with my Dahlias. They got Spider Mites and Tree Hoppers all the sudden, so I sprayed them with Spectracide Triazicide, and after that treatment, the insects completely disappeared for 6 weeks, then they started to make a comeback, so I sprayed again, and they disappeared again.

So, about 4 weeks after bringing my peppers in, I suddenly noticed an infestation of these tiny brown bugs all over the bottoms of the leaves on mainly the 2 Poblanos. They were about 2-3mm long and 1mm wide. I sprayed all peppers with Triazicide, and they 'seemed' to disappear. But yesterday, only 2.5 weeks after I sprayed them, I noticed yet another, worse infestation on every pepper plants, with the Tam Jalapeno being the worst, and 2 of the Bell peppers heavily infested as well, but there were some on the Poblanos too.

But these insects look different than the others before. These are shaped like sesame seeds and they are an almost opaque light creamy green color, so they match the leaves pretty well. They range in size from 3mm x 1mm, down to only 1mm x .3mm(babies I guess). They are all over the tops and bottoms of the leaves, and on the small peppers that the plants are still trying to produce. There were many thousands of these things on the Tam Jalapeno alone.

So, once again, I took them outside and sprayed with Triazicide, not once, but twice, 5 minutes apart. I left them outside for 2 hours in the 46 degree temps, then brought them back into the greenhouse.

Just a few minutes ago, I went to check on them and it looks like at least half of these insects survived the spraying! They are still eating away apparently! Its been 22 hours since the treatment too.

Whats surprising also is that I never had any problems with either of these 2 types of insects while the plants were growing outside during the regular season. I never saw a single one of these bugs then, so where are they coming from? Maybe their parents had laid eggs in the soil, and when I brought them into the warm greenhouse, they hatched after a few weeks, I guess(?)

Whats the deal, what are they, and what should I do from here, if the Triazicide isn't working?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES