SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billie_ladybug

Greenhouse plans

billie_ladybug
15 years ago

Guess what, DH was on a jobsite where they had ordered too much clear Poycarbonate and alumimum track. It was going to be more trouble then the credit they would have gotten for returning the materials, so the company gave DH the stuff to take home and build a greenhouse. So now I am working on plans. I figure I have until late February before I have to break ground and get it done. That gives me 3 good months to plan.

It will be a 12x8 lean to on the south side of the house. The house is painted white (before anyone asks). It will not have anything blocking the sunlight (other than clouds). There will be a concrete foundation poured for the walls to sit on. The greenhouse is not going to be heated for now, but it may be later.

So here are the debateables. The panels are 4x8, should we cut to smaller pieces on the roof, or leave as is. Then I'm not sure if I want to put glass to the foundation, or have a 2' wall around the whole thing. With all glass, I would put beds right in the ground to plant peppers and eggplants in during the summer while having potting benches over them to put flats on for hardening and such in early spring. If we did the 2' wall, I would use the hidden space for storage of flats, pots and soil. I have a bunch of cedar lap that I could use for the wall if I go that way, so that is not a problem.

What ideas do you have if you got to do it all again or for the first time. The books just are not helping the pratical uses for this.

Billie

Comments (9)