SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Need advice from those who propagate Tea roses. Please

luxrosa
11 years ago

I never loved roses until after I moved to California and saw Tea roses for the first time. I love rooting my own roses, and I am plannning a Tea rose border to surround my property.

But I have only been able to root white 'Maman Cochet'.

I've rooted 90 different roses from a several classes, most of these have been O.G.R's but Tea roses have proved more difficult. None of my Old Garden Tea rose cuttings taken from soft wood this summer rooted, and all of them rotted from the cut end upwards,under conditions where roses from other classes rooted easily.

are evergreen roses more difficult to root?

I've tried to root Rosette Delizy,Lady Hillingdon, Mme. Lombard, Etoille de Lyon, and c. a dozem others.

I've been told that semi-hard wood is great for cuttings because it roots faster and rots less, but where and when do I find it on a Tea rosebush?

Should I look for semi-soft wood cuttings further down than 6 inches below the flowering part of the cane?

The canes that flowered in June on Rosette Delizy are still a lovely hue of green and can be pierced easily with my thumb nail, 3 feet downwards the canes are still green but cannot be so easily pierced.

Thank you,

Luxrosa

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting