SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david52_gw

I just 'reconsidered' bears

david52 Zone 6
16 years ago

Its a bad year for bears as the hard freezes in May seemingly zapped their natural food, although the alpine raspberries are loaded, but anywho, the things are all over the place. I have a self-made deer fence around my place, and although I've smelled them walking by outside the fence, they haven't gotten in yet.

Anyway, I went to pick up some wild plums a friend had harvested off his place, and he showed me what a bear had done to his fence. He had thrown a bucket of slop out onto his compost the evening before. A bear had tried to get into his yard, which is surrounded by hog panels nailed to cedar posts. If you not familiar with hog panels, they are about 4.5 feet high, 16 feet long, welded steel mesh, each opening about 4" x 6". The wire is a bit less diameter than a bic pen. I need bolt cutters to cut through the stuff.

This bear had absolutely mangled a piece of this stuff trying to get in. Popped the welds, pulled it off a fence post, and bent it up so bad it looked like it had been hit by a truck. Yikes.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County