SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmarissa_gw

Cuttings have some growth--what next?

kmarissa
9 years ago

Hello all,

I haven't posted on here before, and I hope this post isn't too long. I'm just looking for some advice regarding some rose cuttings, now that autumn is here and winter is on the horizon.

I recently moved to a new home and had to leave behind about six rose bushes. I had originally intended to dig up at least some of them, but the chaos of the moving out/moving in process and last-minute stress made that plan unrealistic. So, after reading some really helpful posts on this forum, I decided to try my hand at rooting some cuttings, which I had never tried before. I had read that summer wasn't the best time to try rooting, but under the circumstances it was now (er, then) or never.

Because I wasn't sure which method would work best for me, I tried using the "paper burrito" method for about half the cuttings, and the other half I just stuck in a windowbox filled with sand and peat moss. The windowbox didn't really provide the depth I wanted (the cuttings only had 2-3" in the sand rather than "more than half" of the cutting, and the cuttings were also fairly crowded with each other), but that was simply all I had on hand at the time and I had a BUNCH of cuttings.

At first, I was surprised by the success. Once most of the paper burrito cuttings were calloused (and some had even started growing roots!), I moved them into planters filled with a potting mixture. I also carefully moved some of the windowbox cuttings that showed signs of new growth into planters, these had new roots growing as well. At the time, I thought this would be a good idea because unlike in the windowbox, in the planters I could sink the cuttings much deeper into the soil, in hopes of better root development. Well, big mistake. For a while, it seemed like things were going great. More than half of the planter cuttings were budding, sending out leaves: things were looking up. Then one by one, they started to die--wilting leaves, buds that stopped developing, a black color creeping up the cutting from the soil level. Although I hadn't been watering the planters, we had been having an unusually wet summer with lots of rain, and I guess that the potting soil must have been too wet and rotted the cuttings. Every cutting in potting soil/planters died.

However. There were about three cuttings that I never got around to moving out of the windowbox. They're still there, in about 3" of sand and peat moss, with strong, healthy-looking new growth, and they're now further-along and healthier looking than any of the other cuttings were at any point. My concern is, it's September now, with winter coming. Based on my story of tragedy and woe above, I'm afraid to put these cuttings in the ground, or move them into planters, since they're the only ones left alive after my last unsuccessful attempt. But, while zone 6b isn't exactly a northern climate, I'm also somewhat worried about their ability to get through the winter with only 3" of sand/peat moss in a small windowbox to protect their new little roots.

So... what's the best option here? Leave them where they are through the winter? Give some kind of winter protection? Give transplanting another try? Try moving them into some deeper or larger planter, but filled with the sand/peat moss instead of potting soil? I'm also not sure at what point in development a cutting needs nutrients that may not be available in the sand/peat moss.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (8)