SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Dahlia garden - mostly in the last few weeks

digit
11 years ago

I snapped a half dozen pictures of the dahlias thru the growing season. So, I was inspired to put a few of them together. The youtube slideshow is linked below.

The earliest photograph has the "weeds" and Asian greens a week or more before the dahlias began to show up. Many of those greens were harvested & the remainder went to the compost. We then move quickly to the growing dahlias and the first blooms. The final 3 pictures are all from the last few weeks.

Right now, the garden is entering the peak of the dahlia season. Fortunately, the mid-September frost here just damaged a few of the tallest flowers and even they recovered. The garden is very protected by buildings, bushes and a dilapidated board fence that the neighbor's mastiff is determined to knock over!

Many flowers have come out of this dahlia cutting garden. There are more to come but when cold weather arrives, even without a frost, the plants will sloooooow and the blooming season will come to an end.

Yes, nearly half the plants are one variety: Show 'n' Tell. They are very popular and grow very well here. Still, I think that more of some of the others should be saved or, more tubers purchased for 2013. I believe that I once figured out that there are about 30 varieties (and a little too much has gone to Show 'n' Tell ;o).

The pictures are of the entire garden, or as much as I can include in the shot. I don't have any close-ups this season but may be able to do that in the next few days.

The music is by composer Maurice Ravel, Ma m`ere l'oye (Mother Goose). He originally wrote it for his 2 young children to play on the piano as a duet.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Garden, 2012

Comments (5)