SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_in_new_orleans

Anyone like to use Unusual rootstocks?

I have never successfully budded or grafted anything. Rooting cuttings is so easy that I just haven't given the other much effort. But I've been getting curious. I've had roses on a few different rootstocks and tried once to bud 3 or 4 buds onto Dr. Huey sucker growth that I had rooted. None of the buds took. I probably didn't use clean and sharp enough tools. I don't know. But I know from the few fortuniana-grafted roses I've had that the root system gets HUGE. A very impressive rootstock all around.

But...I grow all my roses in pots, and "huge" root systems have their drawbacks in pots. Since some folks insist that certain rose varieties just will never grow as well on their own roots, I was wondering if its worth trying another kind of rootstock.

I have been thinking specifically about trying it on Archduke Charles or Cramoisi Superieur. The reason is that both these roses were recommended as among the very few varieties that can stand up extremely well and indefinitely to root-eating nematodes. They are bushy and fibrous and grow faster than the nematodes can eat them. But they're not as enormous as Fortuniana. Does it sound worth the effort? Has anyone here ever given this sort of experiment a try.

My biggest hesitation is that I simply am inexperienced with budding and grafting. (I'm not even sure I understand extactly what sets grafting apart.) Any thoughts on this question are welcome. Thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living