SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Review and general question about Ajis

sunnibel7 Md 7
11 years ago

Hello, Hotheads! (Don't worry, I know you are all actually cool cats). I was just doing my year-end review of the garden and thought I would ramble on a little then ask a question.

This year I grew Aji Pineapple, Aji Lemon, Aji Dulce (why, when I already knew I didn't like it?), Jalapeno M, Purple Serrano, Aribi Guisano, Chimayo, Fish, and De Arbol. The Fish didn't make it, it succumbed to the ants that setup shop in and around its roots. A couple others had the same problem but were able to limp along enough to produce pods, so that was the only one I didn't get to sample. The ones I like and will grow again (or choose something similar) are the Aji Pineapples (still favorite), the Jalapenos (definitely better homegrown), and probably the Purple Serranos (nice flavor, skins were a little tough and rigid). I will also likely try Fish again, just to see if it lives up to its reputation. Aji Lemon was so similar to the Aji Pineapple, but not quite as tasty (a subtle difference) so I don't see the point of having both. The others I just don't like. Aji Dulce and Aribi Guisano both have a strange flowery taste I dislike intensely, though they differ greatly in heat. Chimayo just didn't do anything for me, and the de arbol were thin, dry, and mostly seeds. All my plants were pretty prolific except the ones most injured by the ants.

Now, looking to next year, I am wondering about the wide variety of Aji peppers. A lot of them seem to be described in similar terms to one another and I am wondering if there are any that are different enough to be worth trying, given my current satisfaction with the Aji Pineapples. For example, there is an ongoing discussion about Aji Crystal. It sounds interesting, but is the grapefruit flavor really different from the lemon flavor of Aji Lemon? I'd be interested in the impressions of anyone who has grown any of the Ajis. And of course, if my enjoyment of the Jalapenos and Purple Serranos makes you think I might like any other particular peppers, feel free to suggest them too! Cheers!

Comments (7)

Sponsored